We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants off I-494 near Bloomington

Which Bloomington hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
104 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants off I-494 near Bloomington

Hi ~ we'll be flying into MSP and then renting a car and driving to Sioux Falls. It looks like the farther we get from Minneapolis, the less restaurants there will be (we'll take I-494 to US 169), so I figured we'd better grab lunch around Bloomington.

No doubt there are a lot of restaurants in the Mall area ... can anyone recommend an exit or two off I-494 where there are a bunch of chain restaurants to choose from, with easy-off, easy-on access to the interstate?

Thank you!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,877 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants off I-494 near Bloomington

Just about any type of food place imaginable, any particular type of cuisine or budget?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants off I-494 near Bloomington

It is true after Minneapolis your food options will become more limited, but from MSP and on the route you're going, you have a fair amount of city to get through before you'll reach much in the way of open spaces.

Interestingly, while there are options the chain restaurants seem to spread themselves among the exits. That said, here is what I can remember that would seem to be relatively easy off and on, generally in order of exits from MSP:

12th Avenue/Portland (about 1 mi. west on 1-494 from MSP)- Khan's Mongolian BBQ (not a big chain but relatively decent food, twincities.citysearch.com/profile/5598491/richfield_mn/khan_s_mongolian_barbeque.html), plus fast food options including Arby's. Turn right off I-494 and get on the frontage road. Alternately, turn left off the exit and go to the south frontage road for a Grand Slam at Denny's.

Lyndale Avenue (about 2 mi. west on I-494 from MSP) - Don Pablo's Mexican, fast food options of Chipotle, Boston Market, Potbelly, Noodles, Turn right. Look in the strip mall right there.

Penn Avenue (exit with Best Buy HQ) - Applebee's in the strip mall off Penn on the south side of freeway (turn left), Timber Lodge Steakhouse, fast food options including McDonald's, Subway and others.

I-494 and Hwy. 100 (look for the Sheraton Hotel). TGIFriday's. This is not far off the freeway, but you go north on 100 to literally the next exit, maybe 1/4 mile - 77th street. You then backtrack as if you're going to the Sheraton. There's a DQ Grill and Chill here, and other restaurants I can't remember at the moment.

A few ideas here...

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,877 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants off I-494 near Bloomington

I'm confused about your route, a little. I think your quickest route is to go due south on I-35 and then west on I-90. But, since you say US169, maybe you're heading through Mankato and then south?

If you consider the I-35 routing, then Burnsville will have many options for you, too. If you still want the US169 route, then also consider the area nearby US212 and I-494 - near Eden Prairie. Very close and tons of options there, too.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants off I-494 near Bloomington

Yeah .. the I-494 Bloomington strip is restaurant & hotel row - virtually anything you can imagine.

If you got the time, as mentioned, Khan's is one of my favourates if you are into building your own meat and veggies, and sauces, then they cook it all up on a huge flat wok. Very tasty !

Level Contributor
104 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants off I-494 near Bloomington

Thanks everyone for your responses. There's some great information there and I'll keep it handy. It's so funny that I'm always afraid of being stranded without a place to eat!

bk_ti, I'll look into the route you suggested. I think I got my information from Mapquest, but maybe there's a better way!

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants off I-494 near Bloomington

Definitely I-35 to I-90. Way too many lights and small towns on 169. Slower speed limits too. The freeway just keeps you moving along steadier and faster. I've used both ways many times. Actually if we don't use I-35 we use MN-19 and MN-23 through Redwood Falls, Marshall and Pipestone because we use to live in Marshall and know that way well. But not if we are in a hurry. I-35/I-90 is only about four hours to Sioux Falls.

Lots of restaurants in Burnsville/Lakeville area. Burnsville can be a little confusing though due to the merger of I-35W and I-35E into just plain I-35 right by Burnsville Mall. But for sure no end to choices where to eat.

Level Contributor
104 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants off I-494 near Bloomington

Thanks, Sequim! I definitely prefer sticking to the highway, so I-35 will be perfect. After a long flight, anything that shaves off a little travel time is a must!

Thanks also for mentioning Burnsville for restaurants. I haven't looked yet to see where that is, but I'd rather break up the drive with a stop, so hopefully it's about halfway to Sioux Falls!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants off I-494 near Bloomington

I wouldn't call Burnsville a 1/2 way point to Sioux Falls, but it is on I-35W and on the more south side of the city. It is a good point for a stop as you'll have plenty of restaurant choices. You can rest up out of the car and once back in the car, you should have fairly little traffic to slow you down. It would be a nice way to "recharge". Furthermore, on the interstate, you'll have plenty of places to stop for a quick bite/bathroom/stretch legs, so fear not!

Level Contributor
104 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants off I-494 near Bloomington

Thank you all so much!

I'm such a "planner" ... I always have to have every last detail figured out before I go! I guess you could NOT call me spontaneous ...

10. Re: Restaurants off I-494 near Bloomington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2010, 05:24