We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fireworks Bloomington vs Minneapolis?

Which Bloomington hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Fireworks Bloomington vs Minneapolis?

I saw that on the 3rd Bloomington will have fireworks and on the 4th Minneapolis. Are they comparitive? Never having seen fireworks in a large town my husband insists that we will be shocked at how much more emense Minneapolis will be. We are staying, however, in Bloomington right by the mall. I wondered is there that big of a difference? I don't want to miss it if it is indeed awesome.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fireworks Bloomington vs Minneapolis?

I live downtown and we watch them from our condo pool deck

it is very impressive as they go off over the river.

you can take the light rail up to downtown and watch, vs driving

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fireworks Bloomington vs Minneapolis?

There is a different element going on in Minneapolis that might be interesting with the river and skyscrapers nearby (though the fireworks don't necessarily shoot "over" the skyscrapers). My guess, however, is the actual fireworks themselves will be relatively comparable.

Also keep in mind the City of Richfield does fireworks (Richfield is the suburb between Bloomington and MInneapolis) and usually is fairly impressive. Richfield actually does a daylong celebration, parade, fireworks, carnival, concerts. You could check out www.richfield4thofjuly.com for more info.

All that said, if the two cities are doing fireworks on different days, why not consider both? As mentioned, you could take the Light Rail Train downtown and avoid parking/driving hassle. You could get off at the Hennepin Ave station and walk towards the river.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fireworks Bloomington vs Minneapolis?

I grew up in Bloomington and unless things have changed, those fireworks do not compare to Minneapolis (or Richfield for that matter -- as that's where we Bloomington folk went on the 4th).

The downside of Minneapolis is the massive crowd. But if you get down there early -- before dark -- you can find a niche. Just find out where the fireworks will be going off so you don't get stuck behind a tree.

Bring a blanket and some drinks and snacks. And bug spray.

4. Re: Fireworks Bloomington vs Minneapolis?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2010, 06:16