We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from the Amtrak Train Station

Belleville, Michigan
3 posts
Save Topic
Transportation from the Amtrak Train Station

Does anyone know the best way to get from the Amtrak station to the Mall of America?

Thanks for any info.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from the Amtrak Train Station

I would say it depends on what type of traveler you are and how much luggage you will have. If you are someone who is open to public transit (and won't be lugging a ton of luggage), our agency (metro transit) can connect you but there is not a direct route.You would need to take the 16 bus from University and Transfer Road (about 1/4 mile from train station) and take that to 4th St. and Chicago in Minneapolis, near the Metrodome. Then catch the light rail train at the neighborning Downtown East/Metrodome stop (using same ticket as bus - no new ticket needed). Light rail takes you to MOA (make sure you catch the train on the side of the platform with signs to mall of america.

That would take about an hour. And it's really an option if you are really budget minded.

Taxi is the other route. Cost is higher but then you don't have to transfer and you won't have to walk from the depot to the bus stop -- especially if it's during winter.

I would estimate the taxi ride would be in the $45 range from the depot to the mall.

And make sure the driver goes 94 west to 35W south to 62 east to 77 south. That will be the best route. No really direct way to connect the two.

Edited: 21 January 2011, 15:00
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from the Amtrak Train Station

MNto's suggestions are by far the most likely ones to choose, and in my humble opinion well-explained - especially mentioning it depends on the type of traveler you are and how much you want to spend. The only other suggestion to consider, which is probably more realistic if you have a group of people (but not impossible for 1-2) would be Super Shuttle (www.supershuttle.com). Quick rate quote from Amtrak to MSP Airport (which is close to MOA, so they would probably arrange the shuttle to MOA if you contact them ahead of time) is $20/person for a shared ride (meaning possible stops at hotels, etc. along the way) or $85 for an exclusive van of up to 10 people. They also do town car service up to 4 people for $49 plus gratuity.

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from the Amtrak Train Station

Arriving form Chicago or from West (Seattle)? And this time of year? Cabs that wait there are all in-tune with the notoriously bad on-time record - especially coming from West. Often avalanche issues in Rockies make that train late by many hours. Less so coming form Chicago. Super Shuttle might be able to monitor the predicted arrival time too but the airport they just cycle vans on a regular basis. For a point to point "charter" they might not want a driver sitting there.

Spent many hours waiting at the station for my daughter when she went to school in North Dakota then wised up to checking the status before leaving home. Record late arrival was 10 hours once.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from the Amtrak Train Station

That is probably a valid point, and I don't know how they work with that potential issue. It would be good to ask them upfront if you decided to do Super Shuttle.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from the Amtrak Train Station

I'm glad someone mentioned Super Shuttle. Being that I've never used it, I am not qualified to weight it as an option (although I should have thought of it to at least suggest looking into)

Belleville, Michigan
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from the Amtrak Train Station

Thanks to everyone for the info. I will be travelling later in the year so snow won't be a issue. Due to the time of my arrival I will take a taxi or the shuttle but thanks for the informing me on which route the driver should take.

Edited: 23 January 2011, 18:32
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,993 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from the Amtrak Train Station

The area around the Amtrak station isn't the best...would not suggest taking the bus at all.

8. Re: Transportation from the Amtrak Train Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2012, 02:15