We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duluth in late October/November

Which Duluth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Duluth in late October/November

Will we be disappointed if we go this time of year? Is early October a better choice? We're driving from Kansas. Just want to get away for a week or so.

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duluth in late October/November

Depends on what you are looking for. If Fall colors then early Oct would be much better. If past-peak around Duluth then for sure you will drive though the "peak zone" somewhere on the way up. For best chances at this head east to Mississippi river (and eastern forest zone) and follow the river up.

Temps will be better in early Oct. too. By late in the month the first snows could be happening except right along the lakeshore.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
38,288 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duluth in late October/November

The better weather will definitely be in early October. It might get a little iffy by the end of October/early November. Not saying it won't snow by early October either because that has definitely happened before. If you come in early October you might be able to head down to Bayfield Wisconsin for their apple festival too. We have gone there a number of times and the kids have enjoyed picking apples in the many orchards around Bayfield.

Minnesota, USA
Level Contributor
709 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duluth in late October/November

I agree early October would be better for weather; by later in the month you may see snow and it will be colder! However, you may have more hotel availability later in the month-tourists still tend to flock to Duluth in early October.

Have a grest trip!

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,643 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duluth in late October/November

I go the first weekend in November -

it's low season on the North Shore and the rates are slashed.

I do a 5 day trip - state parks - hiking trails, etc. all along the North Shore.

Some years it's been shorts & tee shirt weather, one year I saw actual snow flakes at some of the higher points of the hiking trails.

If you're with a fun group of people, staying at a fun place, with lots of amenities, and go out for some fun meals, it won't matter that much if it's a bit grey & chilly outside, if that happens while you're there.

Duluth, MN
Level Contributor
91 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duluth in late October/November

I agree with the previous post: whatever you do, bring plenty of layers, as late October can be anything from upper 70s to lower 20s. (It always seems to rain or sleet on Halloween, though...)

Early October is definitely better for fall colors. However, we've had a drought up here, so the prediction is for an early color-changing. By October, the leaves may already be gone.

Chris

Minnesota
Level Contributor
118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Duluth in late October/November

Duluth is fun any time of year. The lake is always beautiful and magical regardless of weather. That said; I agree with others that the earlier in October you go the better your chances of having good weather and possibly seeing fall colors is.

Bayfield's applefest is fun! When I lived in Duluth I would try to go every year. It takes this year Oct. 5-7. It is definetely doable as a day trip from Duluth.

Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Duluth in late October/November

This year (as with the past 3 years) we have been experiencing drought conditions. Here on the Iron Range, we have many trees already showing Fall colors. August nights have been cool this year, and an early Fall is predicted so early October would be best, I think, if you want to see trees with leaves on them. Later October is usually cooler and more days of rain...if we are lucky to get rain this year !! There haven't been many Halloween's that have been warm and dry here on the Range either, one year (1991), we had 4 feet of snow, and Gilbert was snowed in for 3 days. Minnesota weather can vary from one extreme to the other, even in a days time. If you are interested in Wisconsin's Bayfield Apple Festival as well as Minnesota's fall colors, then early October is a really good choice.

Whenever you come, welcome to Minnesota !!!!

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
28 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Duluth in late October/November

One fun thing about November is that is traditionally when some of the biggest storms are out on the lake. It is cool to watch and listen to the big waves! But obviously, bring warm clothes.

9. Re: Duluth in late October/November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 19:16