We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hikes near Duluth

North Dakota
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
Hikes near Duluth

Interested in your favorite hikes around Duluth MN or Two Harbors. No "paved" necessary, but hikes that have spectacular views along the way (trees are great, but would like to view more than just trees).

Looking for day hikes from 2-8 miles that are easy to moderately difficult.

Any hikers that have a favorite......please let comment.

BJ

Minnesota
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hikes near Duluth

Here is the place to start.........

http://www.shta.org/

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
574 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hikes near Duluth

There are several state parks along the north shore of Lake Superior, all have tremendous trails.

North Dakota
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hikes near Duluth

Any personal favorites I can research?

BJ

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,831 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hikes near Duluth

I have a few favourates -

Just north of Tofte, around mile marker 87, is the Oberg Loop. You hike up to the top, then seven scenic vistas, as you circle around the top, then back down again.

Another is the hike up to Carlton Peak, at Temperance River. You'll follow the riverside a 1/3 of the way up. Great views.

Other hikes are a bit further up the shore, but consider the top of Eagle Mountain. Trail head is about 25 min drive into MN from Grand Marais.

At the Canadian border, if you hike to the upper falls of Pigeon River, you'll have complete solitude.

To the top of Mt. Josephine near the border is a fun hike too.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
1,039 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hikes near Duluth

There are many great trails, but one that I just recently did is the Split Rock Loop a portion of the Superior Hiking Trail. It is a 5 mile loop, moderately difficult. It is a truly beautiful hike that is very scenic.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
242 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hikes near Duluth

There are fantastic hiking trails right in Duluth.

My favorite is the two-mile Congdon Park Trail, right up Tischer Creek from Glensheen. Walking from one waterfall to the next in a rocky gorge, you'd never know you're in the city.

My other favorite is the four-mile Park Point Trail across the Aerial Lift Bridge, which starts at the airport and goes through red pines, over sand dunes and past the ruins of an 1855 lighthouse on its way to the Superior entry of the harbor.

In the west side of town, the five-mile Western Waterfront Trail follows the St. Louis River estuary and is great for wildlife-watching.

Info at midwestweekends.com/plan_a_trip/outdoors_rec…

There's also a 39-mile segment of the Superior Hiking Trail that roughly follows Skyline Parkway above town. The section through Magney-Snively Park has great views from Ely's Peak and Bardon's Peak. You can also park at Enger Tower and hike from there. There's a somewhat hidden gazebo in Enger Park that's on a rock outcropping overlooking the entire town and harbor; it's perfect for a picnic.

Beth at MidwestWeekends.com

Minnesota
Level Contributor
62 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hikes near Duluth

I loved the new Superior Hiking Trail through Duluth, particularly the sections on the western end. www.shta.org/SHT_in_Duluth/Maps.php…

8. Re: Hikes near Duluth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2010, 07:17