We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping Sept 25-26

Phoenix
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Camping Sept 25-26

My husband and I are planning a camping trip to Duluth for Sept 25-26 (we live in Rochester). I tried to make a reservation at a state park but all 3 that I checked must be full (Jay Cooke, Tetteguche, and Gooseberry). So, now I am trying to decide between Spirit Mountain or Indian Point. Any help would be appreciated. Are the state parks considerably better for tent camping? We are going to be there for 2 days/1 night and won't be spending too much time at the campsite. We mainly just don't want to pay for a hotel!

Also, any advice on activities would be appreciated! We are in to hiking/biking/anything active. We have bikes that we can bring, or we could just hike. We are hoping to see some beautiful fall colors (and not freeze to death overnight!).

Thank you!

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
242 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping Sept 25-26

If you like to hike, bike or paddle, Indian Point is perfect for you; it's right on the bay. It's also close to the Lake Superior & Mississippi excursion train, which gives rides along the St.Louis River on weekends.

If it's just one night, consider the Munger Inn, which isn't very expensive (they run the campground). It's at the end of the Munger State Trail for bicycling and on the Western Waterfront Trail for walking. The 123rd Avenue trailhead of the Superior Hiking Trail is nearby, midwestweekends.com/plan_a_trip/outdoors_rec…

Saint Cloud...
Level Contributor
183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping Sept 25-26

We have stayed at Indian Point and it's nice. We did also check out Spirit Moutian. I didn't like that it was far from town. I'm not sure if you have a tent or a camper. But if you have a camper the place to camp is at Lakehead Boat Basin. It's just over the lift bridge not ideal for tents.

3. Re: Camping Sept 25-26

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2011, 04:17