We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay for small family

charles city, Iowa...
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best place to stay for small family

We are looking to spend a week or so in town for a family vacation sometime this summer. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced place for my husband, myself, and our 7 year old daughter? Any hints or info would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
404 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best place to stay for small family

I wouldn't consider the Munger Inn a family-oriented hotel spot for a week-long summer vacation --- check out TripAdvisor reviews in that regard. If the hotels in the Canal Park or Duluth Downtown area are out of your price range, you might consider looking into the hotels "over the hill" in the Mall area (but still a quick drive down the hill to the Lake and Canal Park attractions). A new Residence Inn recently opened with pool, and there also is Marriott Fairfield Inn. Also up over the hill is a Carlson Country Inn & Suites (technically in Hermantown, but just down the road from the Duluth airport) -- it has a nice pool area and continental breakfast included with the room which is always a nice feature when traveling with a family. The "Edge" waterpark hotel is just east of the Canal Park area, but adjacent to the "Lakewalk" providing easy walking access to Canal Park attracations, and it often runs room specials-- sign up for their mailing list to get notified of them. I just did a quick check on the "Edge" website, and they have an early bird special if you book by May 1 for $109 (Sun-Thurs) June, and $119 (Sun-Thurs) in July-Aug. Even though the weekend rates would be higher, you'd probably even out to be in your budget range.

If you are flexible with dates, rates can vary dramatically but make reservations soon -- if you overlap with a major event (e.g. Blues Fest, Grandma's Marathon weekends), rates will be much higher or rooms booked/limited.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
23 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best place to stay for small family

We travel to Duluth several times a year and we travel with a little one. I would highly reccomend the Canal Park area. You can park your car and walk to a majority of attractions. Have lunch at Grandma's and sit upstairs to enjoy the view of the lake and lift bridge where ships come in/out. Go for a stroll on the Lakewalk, Visit the William Irvin Ship, Great Lakes Aquarium, and definetly take a sightseeing cruise on the Vista Fleet. A trip up to Gooseberry Falls is defintely worth it. I don't know how flexible your travels are, but during the week the hotels offer significantly lower prices. Also a tip: If you can go on shorter notice you can call the hotel directly and ask for a better rate. I have called and done that closer to when we leave and a room that was $189 for a balcony on the lake quickly went to $142 a night just by calling and asking. But of course it can be difficult in the busy summer. Enjoy your trip to Duluth!

charles city, Iowa...
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Best place to stay for small family

Thank you all for the wonderful pointers! Now I have many things to look into!

Two Harbors...
Level Contributor
326 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Best place to stay for small family

You might also check this website:

www.TwoHarborsChamber.com for some additional ideas. There are abundant trails and beaches along the North Shore plus Gooseberry Falls State Park, Split Rock Lighthouse State Park & Tettegouche State Park, all within a half hour's drive of Two Harbors (20 miles north of Duluth).

FYI-There is now an Alpine Slide at Spirit Mountain in Duluth, too. I haven't tried it yet, but it has received excellent reviews.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Best place to stay for small family

I think you've gotten a lot of good advice so far. A couple of questions to consider:

What about splitting your time? You could spend part of your time in Duluth and part of it further up the North Shore such as the Two Harbors area. This will save you some time in the car (which is not how my kids want to spend their vacation). Also,mid-week rates at some of the resorts in the Two Harbors area can be reasonably priced.

What about a place with a kitchen? I'm not always a fan of cooking when I'm on vacation but the last time we went to the North Shore we rented a condo at a resort. We could eat a simple breakfast, pack lunches for days spent hiking or biking and we could do simple dinners. We also ate out when we wanted. We will be going this route again on our next trip. The money saved by making a few meals could balance out more expensive hotel or resort costs.

Saint Cloud...
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Best place to stay for small family

They're a little dated, but the Spirit Mountain villas are close to Superior hiking trails and the zoo/train area. They run about $135-$160 mid-week, but you'd get a kitchen, I believe, to keep down dining costs. Canal Park is fantastic if you can afford it, but you'll probably have lots of lines for dining out (going before mid- to late-June also might save you some money and keep the crowds a little lighter).

If you get up to the university area, Chester Creek Cafe/At Sara's Table is good and laid-back for kids.

Spirit Mountain has the Timber Twister and will be adding a two-person zipline later this summer if all goes as planned.

Lisa

www.10000Likes.com (travel throughout and from the Land of 10,000 Lakes)

Saint Cloud...
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Best place to stay for small family

One more thing--the Edgewater is a nice option with the waterpark, but if you're visiting in the summer, you should be able to swim outside, mini-golf and do other things as well that really cater to kids. The lakewalk also has been almost doubled in length, making it easier to get around by foot and stroller.

Lisa

charles city, Iowa...
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: Best place to stay for small family

Thank you!!!!!!!!!

19. Re: Best place to stay for small family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 17:18
Get answers to your questions about Duluth
Recent Conversations