We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions: Clubs, Bars, Pubs, Entertainment

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
208 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions: Clubs, Bars, Pubs, Entertainment

A group of friends and I are heading to Duluth for a weekend in early March. We're staying in Canal Park and would like some suggestions as to what restaurants/bars/clubs are worthwhile. We're not interested in dancing, just a good place to relax and have a drink.

I've only ever spent time shopping in Duluth or visiting the standard restaurants i.e Grandma's, Olive Garden, Chi Chi's (before it became whatever it is now), Ground Round, the Library (is it even open anymore?), Red Lobster, and Grandma's Sports Bar.

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions: Clubs, Bars, Pubs, Entertainment

Anyone?

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions: Clubs, Bars, Pubs, Entertainment

Here are a few links to some goings-on in the Canal Park area:

www.superiortrails.com/duluth_lake-2b.html

http://www.visitduluth.com/

My favorites in the area: Fitger's Brewhouse, Pickwick, Black Woods Grill & Bar, Thai Krathong, Northern Lights Roadhouse and Porter's Restaurant.

Top of the Harbor & Skyview Lounge has a beautiful view at night, but the food tends to be hit and miss.

Hope this helps :-)

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions: Clubs, Bars, Pubs, Entertainment

I've heard really good things about Thai Krathong. Where is it, and is the parking bad? Thanks for your post, I'll checkout those links now.

Cheers

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions: Clubs, Bars, Pubs, Entertainment

The physical address for Thai Krathong is 114 W 1st St. If you're in the mood for a walk, it's about a half a mile away from Canal Park. Parking usually is not an issue during this time of year ("off-season"= far fewer tourists!).

Here's another link:

duluth.citysearch.com/map…

minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions: Clubs, Bars, Pubs, Entertainment

The recommendations posted are pretty on target. Fitgers Brewery complex is a great place to visit and usually have good bands. Pizza Luce is a great place for supper and catch the concert afterwards. Thai Krathong is excellent - we were just there this fall and it's very good, definitely go! It's really not that far from Canal park... and cabs are also cheap with short rides around that area.

If you get a chance, 40 Watt Bulb (folksy rock with a bit of country) and Trampled by Turtles (bluegrass on speed) are great bands who are often in that area.

Canal Park and the riverwalk are very nice to stay, but I can't say there seems to be much nightlife happening there. The restaurants seem mediocre, so we don't stay over there anymore. We stayed downtown last time and loved the location. It's old downtown main street was fun to explore. The Radisson is mediocre at best, but the Holiday Inn looked very nice.

If you are an outdoorsy type, check out the parks. Seven Bridges Road is beautiful and hiking at Jay Cooke State Park is always a must for us.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions: Clubs, Bars, Pubs, Entertainment

I'd highly recommend going to Sir Ben's Tavern... it is on Superior Street, take a right if coming from Lake Ave. There are a lot of great tap and bottled beers (many imports), wines, and awesome sandwiches. It is a very relaxed atomsphere, sometimes has live music that is low key, and great outdoor seating with a view of the lake. (it is just past Fitger's). I'd say this is my favorite hangout in Duluth, a lot of locals' favorite place.

Another great resaurant is Blackwoods Grill and Bar. If you take 35N to its end and stay in the left lane, it is on the corner across the street on 26th Ave. E and London Rd. Awesome food, great atmosphere.

If you are in the mood to drive up the shore, I'd also recommend Lake Ave. Cafe. You will need reservations but it is outstanding, gourmet food.

A new pub in town is also a lot of fun (especially if you love good beers as I do) It is called Dublinn's and is downtown on Superior Street, left off of Lake Ave, and on the right side. It does play loud Irish music but is a lot of fun.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
574 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions: Clubs, Bars, Pubs, Entertainment

The Reef!!

London Rd & 22nd(?) We used to hang out there when I went to UMD. Fun place, or at least it was many moons ago.

Minnesota City...
Level Contributor
3,169 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions: Clubs, Bars, Pubs, Entertainment

Can't believe the Saratoga Club hasn't been mentioned here. Right down on Canal Park . . .

Jazz on Saturday nights. Exotic dancers the other nights. But a nice bar none-the-less.

9. Re: Suggestions: Clubs, Bars, Pubs, Entertainment

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 00:19
Get answers to your questions about Duluth
Recent Conversations