We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eagan High School Parents

Which Eagan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
rhode island
Level Contributor
145 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Eagan High School Parents

Hi!

We will be moving out there very soon with a junior in High School. Any thing you can tell me about the kids out there?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eagan High School Parents

I'm not sure I understand your question. Kids are pretty much the same, no matter where you are, aren't they? What specifically are you looking for?

Wasilla, Alaska
Level Contributor
966 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eagan High School Parents

I think the kids are just about the same everywhere. I am teaching right now as a sub, and I find the middle school kids to be the worst. I guess it must be the changes they are going through. It will actually probably be a lot easier for your kids to develop friendships than it will be as an adult. The culture in Minnesota is a little less open than in other places around the country. People tend to be comfortable with who they know, and don't tend to reach out beyond their comfort zone. Most Minnesotan's haven't been outside of their local area and really don't care to either. That is part of the culture. Now, before I get a fellow Minnesotan angry, I remind you that I prefaced my remarks by saying "most"; not all. Whatever you do, don't mention the movie Fargo to a Minnesotan. I went to that movie when it first opened in St. Paul, and you could hear a pin drop. There was about 3 of us who thought it was funny. Did I mention that MANY Minnesotan's don't have a sense a humor. Again; I prefaced with MANY; not all.

A Minnesotan with a sense of humor

P.S. You can get all kinds of statistics on schools in the Twin Cities, but I can't remember which agency reports that. Perhaps another poster can help out.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
574 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eagan High School Parents

Ya, ye betcha! :)

Deerfield, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
126 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eagan High School Parents

Watch out for those Eagan kids. They're purple. Every single one of them is purple. Good thing you aren't moving to Chaska. Those kids out there have 6 fingers on each hand. All of them.

In all seriousness, kids are kids. Eagan's a good place to raise a family. Although some will argue, there isn't a whole lot of difference between the SE burbs.

rhode island
Level Contributor
145 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eagan High School Parents

when i asked about the kids i meant their willingness to accept outsiders. I have heard that a lot, not all, but a lot of the adults don't like newcomers to the area.

twincities
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Eagan High School Parents

I moved to the area last year and it was the best move ever! I also teach middle school and high school and really it depends on whether you like that time of development I guess...I think that will color the response you will get regarding kids of that age. I love those ages, kids are finding themselves, making mistakes, learning, doing amazing things and if we let them, they generally show us they are real, live, caring, young adults trying to make their way. My son has special needs and he has been treated very well (and he can be quite a pain in the you know what). In addition to being "different" behaviorally, he is also mixed ethnically. We have not had any problems though he has himself noticed that there are far fewer kids with brown skin. Community events seem to be diverse enough though. We just went to a concert in the park (this community is full of family oriented activities and parks, there are also many social service supports for people with disabilites, medical needs or financial needs) and there were families of all ages and colors there. I have friends who have moved to this area for the school district. Having taught in several districts over the past 25 years, I can share with you that this is one of the best (Rosemount, Eagan, Apple Valley, 196). Every district has issues but this one is well known in MN for doing a great job across the board.

Eagan
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Eagan High School Parents

Hi, We just moved here with a soon to be sophomore at Eagan High School. I have lived in Illinois, Vermont, New York, Pennsylvania, and Ohio before moving to Minnesota. I find Eagan folks to be exceptionally open and kind. I brought my kids to tour the schools they will be attending in early June and found people to be helpful and welcoming. I have no doubt that your child will have a great experience. The schools are excellent and challenging, the cities have lots to offer and the people are wonderful.

Even my sons are excited about their prospects and I think that is saying something for an 8th grader and a high school student.

Good luck on your move. I hope it goes well.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
130 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eagan High School Parents

Good luck on your move. welcome! My son starts high school this year at StPaul Central in St Paul. The parents of current students, staff and even students encouage school involement by parents. I have done that in elem school but not as much during his jurnior high years. It not onlyhelps the school, teachers with events, That way you meet other parents and stay connected with issues at the school. I was an officer on the site council for the school, who could look into that was well. We had several people that had moved to the neighborhood and welceome. Hope all goes well for you.

chris

9. Re: Eagan High School Parents

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 02:17
Get answers to your questions about Eagan
More Eagan Topics