We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time trip with boyscouts

chicago
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
First time trip with boyscouts

We are hoping to take a group of boy scouts out on the Boundary Waters. Would love to use northern tier which is a boy scout outfitter though it looks like if we want to go out of Ely, they only go out of entry point #25 which is the most popular point.

Have to have a guide though also need to keep our cost down-under $400 per person.

Would appreciate any help!

Mentioned in this post
Ely
Ely
Minnesota
2 replies to this topic
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time trip with boyscouts

gunflintlodging.com/index.cfm…

I don't have much time right now but I will later. I'll come back and give you my thoughts. Lots depend on group size and age. But it would be a shame to lose the fun part of choosing your own entry point based on what you want to do and see. I would think you could get a regular guide if you truly needed one -- rather than a Scout guide who limits your options.

So look at the link above and search thatr msg board for others who had similar questions (specifically the Trip PLanning forum).

I'll be back later.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time trip with boyscouts

OK, so back to the discussion. I hope you do take time to register and search and post in that other forum whose link I provided. Those are very experienced BWCA folk from all over the country who have experience with dozens of entry points and all kinds of group sizes and situations.

I would first get a handle on what it is you want to do in the BWCA. Are you there to base camp or stay on the move (camping in a new spot each night?) Are you there for fishing mainly or sightseeing mainly (and if sightseeing, which kind? rivers? Bluffs? Forests? -- some EPs are better than others for specific scenery and guides and the folks on the message board I linked you to will know)? Which takes precedence because those kinds of preferences affect choice of entry point and even the best time of year to go.

I always prefer to go in the fall. It's the prettiest time, you're likely to miss the brutally hot days, fishing is pretty solid and generally bugs are scarce or gone altogether because of the cold nights.

I prefer the Ely side. Been in there 3 times vs. two on the Gunflint side.

I would get a handle on what you want out of your trip (at the very least you should nail down if you prefer to base camp vs staying on the move, if you will be bringing perishable food items like milk and eggs and would need a cooler and the paddling/portaging strength of your group vs the different routes.)

If you are carrying a lot of gear and perhaps a cooler or two and would need to double portage, then make sure you don't have many portages and no long ones. Those are the kinsd of decisions that need to be considered while choosing an entry point and route,.

Mentioned in this post
Ely
Ely
Minnesota
Reply to: First time trip with boyscouts
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ely
Recent Conversations