We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Year Anniversary to Northern MN, Grand Portage

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
One Year Anniversary to Northern MN, Grand Portage

We got married in August 2012 and for a short trip after the wedding we went to the North Shore and stayed at Bluefin Bay. It was beautiful and relaxing. We had a nice little condo like place to ourselves, We didn't get the time to make it farther north so this year for our anniversary we would like to go higher and find a nice place to stay. Many people recommended Grand Portage.

We are both very athletic and love the outdoors. We spent most of our last trip hiking around waterfalls. We enjoy hiking were its not so crowded to enjoy nature and its beauty. We are looking for some recommendations on places to stay and things to do. We plan to go mid August 2013.

Thank you for any help and advice!

Sara

5 replies to this topic
Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,618 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Year Anniversary to Northern MN, Grand Portage

We go once a year in the fall and stay at BlueFin for 6 days.

Each day we do a hike. You may like these:

Oberg Look - 6 scenic vistas

Eagle Mountain - tallest point in MN - 1.5 hrs up, hour down.

Devil's Track Canyon - deepest canyon in the state.

The Devil's Kettle - in one of the state parks

Hike to the point of Mt. Josephine.

At Grand Portage State Park - see the Pigeon River high falls, but then also hike to the middle falls.

In Grand Marais, spend time down by Artist's Point on the water.

Head to Lutsen Ski resort in the summer and ride the gondola's up, and bike down, and try the Alpine Slide.

Bring passports, and head to Thunder Bay ONT (45 min from border), and check out Kekkabekka Falls (sp?) - the "Niagara of the North"

Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Year Anniversary to Northern MN, Grand Portage

I haven't visited there myself, but I know at least a couple regulars on this forum have raved about the Sweetgrass Cove Guest House just a short distance south of Grand Portage.

minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Year Anniversary to Northern MN, Grand Portage

Downtown Minneapolis listed pretty much everything I'd recommend hike wise, it's a lovely and less visited area due to it's location.

Although I've never stayed there in the summer, I'd also HIGHLY recommend Sweetgrass Cove - it's quite the nirvana for the active couple and perfectly located. You're the only guests on the property and can enjoy the outdoor firepit, sauna & jacuzzi to soothe your tired bones. Rick also provides incredible massages and great recommendations on local attractions. It's right on the shore so you can canoe/kayak from there. I would recommend 3 nights if you can, they book up fast though!

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Year Anniversary to Northern MN, Grand Portage

Thanks Everyone!

All of this really helps.

I am checking into the Sweetgrass Cove as we have done many of the hikes near Blue Fin and would like to see farther North.

I appreciate you advice so much.

Sara

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
851 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Year Anniversary to Northern MN, Grand Portage

In Grand Portage,you could visit the Fort, (a National Monument), and also hike a section, or the entire Grand Portage Trail. If you do the last section of the portage, (to Ft. Charlotte) don't forget to take the trail to the Cascades, well worth the side trip. Also, you could drive/hike into Partridge Falls. These are typically the quietest areas in NE MN, though some do hike AND portage the Grand. I've hiked into Ft. Charlotte and had the whole trail to myself several times.

http://www.nps.gov/grpo/index.htm

I haven't been to "the Witches Tree" in years, (now called the "Little Spirit Cedar"). But if you call 1-800-543-1380, they can let you know about visiting it.

If you like zip lines, there is one up the Gunflint Trail at Gunflint Lake, and another should be open above Grand Marais this summer.

gunflint.com/activities/…20details.htm

http://www.superiorziplines.com/

If you go to Canada, there is the Old Ft. Williams which is worth a visit. (Much bigger then the fort at Grand Portage). And lots of hiking at Sleeping Giant Prov. Park

http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/slee.html

Also, you can rent kayaks(or canoes) and paddle inland lakes, or Lake Superior. If the weather is right, you could kayak out to the Susie Islands.

Much, much more to do!!

Reply to: One Year Anniversary to Northern MN, Grand Portage
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grand Portage