We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mesabi Trail

Twin Cities, MN
1 post
Save Topic
Mesabi Trail

We are thinking about spending a few days camping at McCarthy Beach State Park and want to ride the Mesabi Trail. I've never been to that area. We would park our car and ride the trail for about 20 miles and turn around and ride back to the car, repeating this each day in a different location. What are the best areas to bike? Any other advice? Is there a better place to camp near the trail?

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
46,267 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mesabi Trail

I think the trail between Chisholm and Hibbing would be a good place to start. Maybe park your car in Hibbing and go to Chisholm and back.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
242 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mesabi Trail

The most scenic parts of the trail are between Grand Rapids and Coleraine (park at the fairgrounds) and Virginia and Gilbert, midwestweekends.com/plan_a_trip/outdoors_rec…

The Mesabi Trail Tour is Aug. 7 and includes shuttles.

McCarthy Beach is a good place to camp, though not on the trail. I thought Sherwood Forest near Gilbert would be good because it's on the trail and there's a lake, but the trail folks say there's a lot of ATV action there.

You might want to try Stubler Beach Campground, which also has a lake and is right on the trail near Buhl. It should be quiet because it's tenting only, ironrange.org/lodging/…

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
242 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mesabi Trail

The most scenic parts of the trail are between Grand Rapids and Coleraine (park at the fairgrounds) and Virginia and Gilbert, midwestweekends.com/plan_a_trip/outdoors_rec…

The Mesabi Trail Tour is Aug. 7 and includes shuttles.

McCarthy Beach is a good place to camp, though not on the trail. I thought Sherwood Forest near Gilbert would be good because it's on the trail and there's a lake, but the trail folks say there's a lot of ATV action there.

You might want to try Stubler Beach Campground, which also has a lake and is right on the trail near Buhl. It should be quiet because it's tenting only, ironrange.org/lodging/…

Plymouth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
538 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mesabi Trail

I biked the stretch from the Grand Rapids Fairgorunds to Coleraine and back last week. Seven plus miles each way, and it was pretty nasty for a casual biker--it is all uphill or downhill, hardly any flat smooth parts. I have skated other sections before that are flatter. But all in all, just a beautiful place to bike/walk/or inline skate. The abndoned iron ore mine pits that have become lakes are pretty unusual.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
538 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mesabi Trail

I agree with the prior poster,, but the wheelsfunrentals link did not work for me. If it doesn't work for you, try this one: www.wheelfunrentals.com/ListLocations/49

Munger trial is peaceful and quiet, and anything around Canal Park is neither of those. But I love them both.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mesabi Trail

You will need to purchase a wheel pass to skate or bicycle on the trail.

As stated above, the abandoned ore pits are unusual. The old LaRue pit in Nashwauk (northeast corner of town) has a paved public access and you can fish, boat, or canoe right in the pit.

Edited: 22 July 2010, 19:07
7. Re: Mesabi Trail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Hibbing