We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relocating to Minneapolis. Where to live?

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fairview Heights...
5 posts
Save Topic
Relocating to Minneapolis. Where to live?

My family (wife and 6 month old daughter) are relocating to the Minneapolis area and we're looking for ideas on where to live. I'm 37 and my wife is 35. We're looking to rent a condo or townhome for the 1st year to see how we like it. I will be traveling between Minneapolis, St Paul and Bloomington so access to highways is important to me.

We'd be comfortable with paying up to $1200/month for rent. 3 bedroom would be ideal.

Ideas on were to start?

24 replies to this topic
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,658 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Relocating to Minneapolis. Where to live?

I think you have the right idea by renting first to get to know the area.

What type of area do you live in now and what is it you're looking for in a community? The big decision will be whether you want to be in the city -- either Mpls or St. Paul -- or in a suburb. Naturally there are pros and cons of each. Bigger yard, generally better schools, etc in the burbs. More vibrant areas and closer to the action (and real restaurants) in the cities.

Why don't you tell us a little more and we can suggest some areas to check out.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Relocating to Minneapolis. Where to live?

I agree with MN's comments/questions regarding getting a better idea of what qualities are important to you regarding the place you call home (and to rent first until you have a better idea of what neighborhood is right for you).

That said, based pretty much purely on location and proximity to highways to Minneapolis, St. Paul, and Bloomington I might suggest Nokomis neighborhood (though be mindful of possibly more airplane noise) or Richfield or Bloomington if you lean towards 'burbs.

Nokomis will have likely somewhat more historic houses and a bit more access to lakes and park areas. Richfield is your typical post WWII first ring suburb. It has somewhat trended towards more diverse neighborhoods but good access to freeways, shopping, and the areas you are looking via those freeways. Bloomington is just south of Richfield. The east side of Bloomington will be somewhat more modest socioeconomic neighborhoods as compared to west.

Again, let us know more of what you find attractive in a neighborhood for more detailed answers!

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,756 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Relocating to Minneapolis. Where to live?

Will you be working in Bloomington ?

Fairview Heights...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Relocating to Minneapolis. Where to live?

Thank you for the response.

We currently live in a suburb of St Louis where we built our house 4 years ago so it's a newer neighborhood. We enjoy easy access to restaurants and shopping. Being that my daughter is so young (6 months old) a safe area and family environment is important. For work what's important to me is ease of getting in and out of the city. I'll have offices in all 3 locations (Minneapolis, St Paul and Bloomington) so convenience to those areas when I drive is important. I'm flying in town this week and plan to drive to some of these areas to see a lay of the land.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,756 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Relocating to Minneapolis. Where to live?

Maybe some place in the middle -

South Minneapolis,

Richfield,

or in St. Paul, south of 94, just east of the Mississippi River

Fairview Heights...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Relocating to Minneapolis. Where to live?

I've read the cost of living in Minnesota is on the higher side. Any truth to this? I checked gas prices and it seems gas is running around $3.75/gallon. That's not to far out of line for what we pay in Missouri.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,658 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Relocating to Minneapolis. Where to live?

I have had many friends move here who expressed the same sentiment about the cost of living here. It's higher than outsiders generally expect. Still way below the Chicagos and New Yorks and the lot. But for a mid-size metro area I think it's kind of high. But then again the quality of life (schools, crime, services, amenities, food, health care etc) is VERy high.

The first area that came to mind for me was the western part of St. Paul. Either the Highland Park or Mac Groveland areas. Good, safe area with a little more money in it than the rest of St. Paul but not rish and uppity either. For an urban school district, the public schools in those neighborhoods are pretty solid. Not what you find in many of the suburbs, but solid nonetheless.

It's a vibrant area with good restaurants and a few taverns, and an actual community. Up Snelling or Cretin you can hook up with I-94 to Minneapolis or downtown St. Paul. Or you could hook up with I-35E to downtown St. Paul via Randolph Ave.

And then there is Highway 5 (7th Street in some parts of SP) that will take you to I-494 to bloomington.

To me it is a very uniquely situation area to easily reach all 3 of your offices. But if you prefer suburbs, it might not be for you. But I would put it on your list to check out.

Another area is SW Minneapolis near Lake Harriett. That is a probably the most upscale part of Minneapolis with very good elementary schools (esp Burroughs) and high school (Southwest). Those are the city's best schools IMO. The property costs, however, are much higher. But the area is beautiful with aqccess to the Chain of Lakes and some excellent restaurants.

From there you can access 35W to downtown Minneapolis or Bloomington. Or Highway 62 to take you to I-35E into St. Paul (which would be your farthest office but not terrible distance. Tho that's subjective.

Suburbs are trickier because no matter which one you pick you will always have a long commute to one of your offices. Some that come to mind:

Eagan (good access to St. Paul and Bloomington. Far to Minneapolis. Good schools. Pretty bland on restaurants -- like most suburbs IMO)

Roseville (decent schools. Good access to Mpls and St. Paul but far to Bloomington. Bland on restaurants)

Edina (the most upscale suburb and one that gives great access to Bloomington and Mpls but far to SP. Best school district in state. High property values. Good restaurant scene)

Fairview Heights...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Relocating to Minneapolis. Where to live?

Great information. If you could rank the top 5 school districts what would you say they are? You mentioned Burroughs school. Any others you'd say are good? I've been told to follow the good school districts as the community will be good also.

Thanks, Josh

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,658 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Relocating to Minneapolis. Where to live?

The best school districts will not be found in either of the major cities.

1. Edina

2. Eden Prairie (there are some who would rank it #1)

3. Wayzata (which covers the city of Wayzata and about 75 percent of Plymouth -- a very nice community in NW suburbs)

4t. Minnetonka

4t. Mounds View

5. Woodbury

Fairview Heights...
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Relocating to Minneapolis. Where to live?

I've also read that the north part of Minneapolis would be considered a rough part of town. Is that true?

Great info on the schools. Thank you.

Reply to: Relocating to Minneapolis. Where to live?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Minneapolis