We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visitor to Minneapolis with 16 month-old baby...

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
1 post
Save Topic
First time visitor to Minneapolis with 16 month-old baby...

We're visiting Minneapolis at the end of May to visit a UK friend who is working there. Does anyone have any advice on things to do in Minneapolis with a baby/toddler, and any other useful tips about where to stay etc? Many Thanks

Calgary-from...
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visitor to Minneapolis with 16 month-old baby...

I have always enjoyed staying near the MOA. Cheeper hotels, compared to downtown, and it always quietter.

as for things to do, Im not to sure. Check out the minneapolis website to see if they have any ideas (google: minneapolis)

Best of luck

Minneapolis
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visitor to Minneapolis with 16 month-old baby...

I am guessing you will want to stay close to your friend's place. Minneapolis has all the major chain hotels. You should be able to find a decent place near your friend. As far as things to do with a 16 month old, I know its tough - been there! In St. Paul there is a free zoo called Como Park Zoo. It's a good zoo that's recently been updated. Works great for young kids because you don't feel like you need to spend a whole day there due to admission cost. There is a bigger zoo in Apple Valley (suburb) St. Paul also has a Children's museum that is very visual and interactive - 16 months may be a bit young. Mall of America Camp Snoopy always works. Most kiddie rides will handle an adult with and I don't think you need to pay. In May the City parks and trails will be very nice.

Minneapolis, MN USA
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: First time visitor to Minneapolis with 16 month-old baby...

Take the new light-rail that runs from downtown to the Mall of America. The kids love the train - especially the long tunnel under the airport - and there is plenty for kids at the MOA. If you arrive before the school year is over, Camp Snoopy and the MOA can be amazingly un-crowded on weekdays.

Como Zoo is great. Easy to get in and out. You can see the whole thing in 2-3 hours.

Andover, Minnesota
Level Contributor
643 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time visitor to Minneapolis with 16 month-old baby...

I agree with above posts. Childrens Museum in St. Paul does have activities a 16 month old would enjoy, even rooms specifially for kids 2 and under.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: First time visitor to Minneapolis with 16 month-old baby...

You should stroll the Lakes in Minneapolis--Lake of Isles, Calhoun, and Harriet--it's a beautiful area with fun restaurants and shopping too.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
130 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time visitor to Minneapolis with 16 month-old baby...

http://www.mcm.org/whatsnew.shtml Childrens Museum which I took my son too- and you can call them about if 16 months is too young, which I dont think it would be- they have different areas for different age children and the Como Zoo in St Paul because its a small fee (in case you dont stay long w a young one) has a carosul ride that cool and the conservatory. (Adults like the animals and the new rides and the Japenese Gardens.) Enjoy Wateronbluesky www.mntbd.com