We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buying tokens for public transportation

Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
510 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
buying tokens for public transportation

Can I pay or buy a token on the bus or local train? I don't know when or where I might want to use them in downtown Minneapolis. What is the easiest way to pay once i'm there?

3 replies to this topic
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
841 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: buying tokens for public transportation

Cash or credit card works. www.metrotransit.org

TRAIN:You must pay for your ride before boarding the train. Use cash or a credit card to buy a ticket from the ticket machine on the station platform.

BUS: On most buses, you pay when you get on.If you pay with cash, drop your money in the farebox next to the driver. Fareboxes accept dollar bills, coins or tokens, but change is not available

Minneapolis MN
Level Contributor
595 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: buying tokens for public transportation

If you are staying in downtown Minneapolis, you can buy single ride tickets or day passes at the Metro Transit store on Marquette or at any of the light rail stations. Otherwise Metro Transit has an app you can use to buy fares.

Level Contributor
185 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: buying tokens for public transportation

You can also buy a ticket on the Metro Transit app with a credit card and show it to the bus driver(transit officer on trains). Also if you're only taking transit within downtown, you can pay the discounted downtown fare as long as you don't need to transfer. Full fares include unlimited transfers for 2 1/2 hours.

Reply to: buying tokens for public transportation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted