We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Airport to downtown Minneapolis

Chicago
1 post
Save Topic
Transportation from Airport to downtown Minneapolis

What is the best transportation from the airport to downtown Minneapolis? Shuttle bus or taxi? Which costs more/efficient?

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,710 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Airport to downtown Minneapolis

Neither. Use the light rail line. It costs about $2 (depending on whether it's rush hour) and takes you from either terminal at the airport downtown (and back, of course, when it's time).

Just follow the signs for Hiawatha Line and/or Light Rail Transit. Or have someone point out the way. The train runs under the airport.

Buy your ticket on the platform from the vending machine. You can't buy on the train. If you're stopped without the ticket you'll be forced to pay a large fine.

Trains run very frequently.

metrotransit.org

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,989 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Airport to downtown Minneapolis

I second the light rail.

I live downtown and it's the only way I go to/from the airport.

Once on baggage claim level, take the escalator down one floor, then walk ALL the way to the back of the hallway and catch a quick people-mover to the light rail station which will be two more escalators down once you arrive. You will see machines to buy tickets and they take credit cards too.

Might take 20 - 25 min to get downtown.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Airport to downtown Minneapolis

I mostly third the suggestion. The light rail is very convenient with frequent trains and limited stops so you'll get downtown in about a half-hour, maybe a few minutes less. The only thing to consider I suppose, is transporting your luggage once you depart from the train. If you're staying at a hotel that is only a block or so from the station and have a "wheelie" suitcase, you should have little problems. If you're staying further, you'll need to consider luggage.

That said, two things to think about. Inquire with your hotel if they offer any shuttle service. Some do and will meet you at the train station. Otherwise, if amount/type of luggage is a concern, a taxi will cost approximately $30 from airport to downtown (maybe a little less, but better to plan for too much money than not enough).

4. Re: Transportation from Airport to downtown Minneapolis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2009, 05:41
Get answers to your questions about Minneapolis