We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August trip to Minneapolis...few questions...

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
August trip to Minneapolis...few questions...

Hi! My husband and I will be going to Minneapolis Aug. 10 - 14. We will be going to a baseball game at the Metrodome, the Mall of America and possibly to Chaska for a day for part of the PGA Championship.

I'm guessing we will need to rent a car for the day we go to Chaska, but will we need to rent a car for the entire time we're there or just the trip to Chaska? I saw that there was a light rail that went from the airport to downtown, is there public transportation to the Metrodome and Mall as well?

Is staying near the Nicollet Mall going to be our best bet for a safe, affordable ($80-$130/night) location with what we want to do while we're there? Sounds like there are some restaurants and evening entertainment by near the Nicollet Mall which sound great.

Also, any nice day spa recommendations or maybe even a hotel that is no more than $150/night, but has spa accommodations?

Thank you so much in advance!

Minneapolis MN
Level Contributor
492 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August trip to Minneapolis...few questions...

The Metrodome and MOA are on the light rail line.

You'll definitely need a car if you're going to Chaska, but you can get by without one if you're staying in downtown. There's plenty of stuff to do that's within walking distance, or a short bus ride.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,613 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August trip to Minneapolis...few questions...

It appears you've done your research, hugasoul.

Yes, you'll need a car only for the drive out to Chaska.

The light rail line runs from the mall through the airport and into downtown, with a stop at Nicollet Mall.

Nicollet Mall is safe with nice shopping, restaurants and nightlife in easy walking distance. Light rail stops at Nicollet Mall, though it's usually at least a few blocks walk to most of that area's hotels.

That makes it the best place to stay downtown, IMO. Unless you have a need to be near something in particular.]

Light rail is your best bet from the airport and back, and to the mall and back. Safe and cheap. Tickets purchased on the platform from a vending machine. Make sure you have one before boarding. If someone checks and you don't have it it is a heavy fine.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,613 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August trip to Minneapolis...few questions...

Spa accommodation I'm not that familiar with. I have seen that Hotel Ivy has that. Check there. If not at the hotel, there are many places around here that offer them outside hotels. In fact, there's a thread on the front page of this forum yet about that very thing.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,443 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August trip to Minneapolis...few questions...

Expedia prices I see are $139 $159 and higher for hotels around Nicollet Mall.

Others have had luck bidding for 4 Stars in downtown Minneapolis, and get the Hyatt or Millenium for $70 - $80. Either would be fine and a good location.

Try to visit the Spa at the new Ivy Hotel, or check out the website. It's a new hotel downtown.

You could take one of the bus lines from downtown to Chaska (route #691) to a park and ride lot in Chaska, and then just taxi to the tournament.

Check out these sites -

http://www.metrotransit.org/

…state.mn.us/Schedules/WebSchedules.aspx…

If you do want to rent a car, there are several major rental agencies downtown, near the Hilton hotel.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
574 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August trip to Minneapolis...few questions...

Something to keep in mind if you do rent a car, when the PGA was previously played at Hazeltine in 2001 Canterbury Downs (horse racing facility in Shaykopee) was used as the park-n-ride location. And this may have been mentioned but I would not be surprised if some local hotels ran their own shuttles to Hazeltine during the PGA...

minneapolis, mn
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: August trip to Minneapolis...few questions...

I would stay at the brand new Hilton Garden Inn in Downtown Minneapolis...it is right next door to the Ivy Hotel but much more reasonably priced. The Ivy spa is amazing though and I would definitely recommend to use them. Hilton Garden is also not far from the Metrodome and light rail (I think 6-7 blocks?) Light rail takes you to the megamall and the airport. Happy travels!

7. Re: August trip to Minneapolis...few questions...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2010, 05:16