We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Location

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Good Location

We will be travelling in on the 94 from Fargo, leaving twon 2 days later for Nebraska, can anyone suggest a good location to stay. Don't mind using the light rail to get around.

Rettie

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Location

Of course, some answer to your question will depend on what qualities you find important, which you may want to reply and list to get better answers, but I would imagine there are two general areas that will appeal to many or most:

Downtown: more options for food, nightlife, transportation if you do not have a car, and many cultural attractions such as museums and sports. Downside will be higher hotel prices and you will pay for parking if driving (plus you'll have more driving headaches in the downtown area).

Mall of America area: Many good hotel options, near the Mall of America for shopping and some restaurants, near the Light Rail Train if you want to go downtown and don't have a car or wish to not drive. Also free parking if you do drive, plus less traffic problems (relatively speaking, anyway). Downside: more chain hotels, chain restaurants, not much nightlife or other attractions besides MOA.

Again, let us know what qualities are important to you and I bet you'll get more answers.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Location

Hi

Mostly FREE PARKING & the thought of being near sooo many shops appeals to me!

We do have the option of staying at the Westin (staff rates) but the thought of paying the high parking prices weighs against getting cheaper rooms.

We don't mind the chains, they've done us well on our travels throughout the USA

My husband would alao like the idea of not driving for a few days.

Is the MoA area good for getting on the road to Nebraska? As that would be the most important thing as we like a slick easy route.

Think I will get a hold of a map today.

Rettie

Minneapolis MN
Level Contributor
505 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Location

The MOA is near several freeways, you can easily get there from 94.

But if one of the purposes of the stop is to get a break from driving, you might want to stay downtown. There's really not much of interest around the MOA area besides the mall itself.

You can stay downtown, where there is much more to do in a walkable distance, and take the light rail to MOA if you want to go there.

Minneapolis MN
Level Contributor
505 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Location

BTW, parking is free at the Doubletree in downtown. And it would be easier to get back on 94 from downtown versus Bloomington (where the MOA is) because of the road construction in the south Minneapolis area.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Location

GW is correct that in the MOA area, close to the lone attraction is MOA, which isn't necessarily bad but just know you will want to be interested in all the Mall has to offer. If you're into zoos, the Minnesota Zoo isn't terribly far from MOA, maybe a 20 minute drive?

Keep in mind you could take the Light Rail Train from MOA to downtown if you decided to check out other attractions, yet still stay near MOA with free parking. This would allow you to get out of the car some by taking the LRT. Of course, you could that in reverse too - stay downtown and take the train to MOA, just have to think about paying for parking.

If you stay by MOA, when it comes time to go to I-94, consider going west on I-494 'til it connects up with I-94. You could go north on I-35W, but there is a lot of construction right now that is unpleasant to travel through. However, if you take I-494, be sure to NOT travel during rush hours...that road gets hairy to say the least!

You mention a Westin staff rate...does that apply to all Starwood hotels? Keep in mind there is a Westin in the suburb of Edina and a Sheraton on the I-494 strip. These would be near (though not within walking distance) of MOA. Note these hotels, while both nice, don't offer much in attractions...you will need to be ready to drive - if for short distances - to your attractions. They would both offer free parking, however...

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
211 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Location

Hi,

If you are interested in free parking, loads of shops, and don't mind chains, then staying at one of the many hotels around Mall of America would probably suit you.

So, it all depends on you interests.

I would go for downtown Minneapolis, for great food (there is no great food around Mall of America) and great nightlife. And if you stay downtown you can easily take the light rail to shop at Mall of America. Downtown there is Nicollet Mall for shopping too.

Good Luck!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Location

Thanks all for your ideas.

I will check out the other Starwoods hotels mentioned.

We're not into food all that much so nice restuarants are not on top of our list. We do like a bit of sightseeing around the towns/cities we visit.

MOA has my vote at the moment.

Main thing is going to be getting rid of tha car for a few days.

Bertha

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good Location

Sounds like MOA area might be a good fit for you. You'll get the free parking, and when your intent is to get rid of the car - so to speak - for a few days paying for parking doesn't make a lot of sense, in my humble opinion. Additionally, there is decent food at MOA and I think you'll find choices whether you choose a chain/corporate restaurant in MOA or one of the other options (there are some in the mall that offer uniqueness, even if I haven't had the opportunity to be there recently - obviously just not as many as downtown).

Again, Sheraton in Bloomington and the Westin in Edina are both fine hotels from what I hear but you would have to drive to MOA about 5-10 minutes away - where you could then catch the train to downtown if you're interested. It is a fairly nice ride into downtown.

Of course, there's plenty of hotels within walking distance of MOA too - Country Inn and Suites, Homewood Suites, Fairfield Inn, there is also a Ramada and Marriott. Many of the hotels near MOA also offer shuttle service, be sure to inquire on that too.

Have a great trip!

9. Re: Good Location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2010, 05:16