We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get downtown from Western Minneapolis?

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best way to get downtown from Western Minneapolis?

Coming into town for the weekend of Nov 20 - 23 on a bus tour/ hockey/ football package. The tour hotel is the Marriott West way out in St. Louis Park (9960 Wayzata Boulevard). Wondering if any locals can give me advice on the best way to get downtown - doesn't look like the train goes out there, as far as I can tell. Is the local transit system good, or are me and my buddies better off grabbing a cab.

Also, we were thinking about hitting up bars near the university this time - any recommendations?

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,657 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get downtown from Western Minneapolis?

Check out metrotransit.org. St. Louis Park is not that far from downtown and they do run direct buses into downtown along 394. Just use the route planner feature and check into the park and ride lots off 394.

Now, the university bars aren't technically downtown. If you look at google maps, they are east of downtown. Two main clusters for the university students: Seven Corners area and campus area.

Kind of depends what you're looking for. I like the campus area places better than Seven Corners. Higher concentration of students there too, though it's pretty high in both places.

I will say the nice thing about 7 corners is that even though the bars aren't as good and varied, you can easily find a taxi to head over Washinton to downtown Mpls.

Kind of depends what you are looking for. The big spots on campus are the Library and Sally's.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,874 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get downtown from Western Minneapolis?

Just something to keep in mind. The drinking age is 21 and enforcement is strict on campus these days. I know that's higher than Canada and might change your options.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
1,033 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get downtown from Western Minneapolis?

The Marriott is a very nice place to stay. It's not really way out, it's less then a 10 minute drive to downtown. When I hosted a large event there a few years ago, my guests stayed at the hotel. At that time they had a free shuttle for guests within a certain mile radius. You might want to check with the hotel to see if it goes the 7 miles to downtown Otherwise a cab would be a good option. I think downtown is has more to offer then going to the campus bars and it's easier to get to.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,657 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get downtown from Western Minneapolis?

"I think downtown is has more to offer then going to the campus bars and it's easier to get to."

Definitely agree on both counts.

If you're seeking student age people there are tons downtown -- like most notably Brothers. Be warned: it is not the best ventilated place being underground. So all those fake ID carryers who vomited last night .... you can still smell it.

At least that's how it was the last time I was there .... many years ago. And I have a college-age nephew who says the same about it now.

Minneapolis MN
Level Contributor
509 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get downtown from Western Minneapolis?

I wouldn't depend on the bus to get around, especially late at night on weekends when you might be inebriated. A cab ride to/from St Louis Park wouldn't be too much, especially with several people splitting the fare.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get downtown from Western Minneapolis?

On the bus...perhaps going into downtown won't be all that troublesome, but bus service will likely get spotty later into the night, so you might think about getting a cab back to the hotel. With a bus down and cab back, you might have the balance of saving $$$ without sacrificing too much in convenience - especially when you're on vacation.

Regarding bars/clubs in the campus area, I have really little to add to what's been already mentioned, so I'll just let that item rest as is.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,657 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get downtown from Western Minneapolis?

Yes, you'll want to taxi home. But taking a bus into downtown could cut costs.

I would imagine a taxi from your hotel would be about $25 one-way, maybe $30.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,657 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get downtown from Western Minneapolis?

that estimate is for downtown Minneapolis, not the campus area. DT Minneapolis is a straight shot from St. Louis Park east on 394 right into downtown. The campus bars would take you 394 to 94 around downtown probably to Huron exit and into campus that way -- which will be at least 12-15 dollars more.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
538 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to get downtown from Western Minneapolis?

Just to be sure here, you are talking about Gopher football and hockey, aren't you? I suppose that I could figure that out from schedules, but . . . . .

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,874 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to get downtown from Western Minneapolis?

FYI: It looks like Gopher Hockey (UMD), but Viking football (Seattle) - the Gopher football team plays at Iowa that weekend.