We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a resort in Northern MN for adults

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need a resort in Northern MN for adults

We are looking to book a resort for a week in Northern MN for my Dad's 60th birthday. It will be all adults (5-6ppl) so we are not looking for places that are kid friendly. We are looking for a place that offers a cabin that offers a kitchen so we can cook while we are there as well as be able to go out to eat a night or two. The most important thing is that we need to be able to bring our own boat and be able to fish. We would also like something close to state parks/hiking trails. Thanks!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
1,033 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a resort in Northern MN for adults

I checked www.vrbo.com and listing 261844 sounds really nice. There are others in the Silver Bay or Beaver Bay area of the North Shore. There is the Silver Bay Marina www.silverbay.com where you can launch your boat into Lake Superior. The Cove Point Resort is also a possiblity. There are also many inland lakes and TONS of great hiking in the State Parks up and down the shore. This area sounds great for what you are looking for.

Edited: 10 January 2010, 21:00
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
574 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a resort in Northern MN for adults

Grandview Lodge is really nice. It would have everything you're looking for, we've been there for a wedding and rented a townhouse for the weekend with 3-4 other couples. Great time!

http://www.grandviewlodge.com/

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a resort in Northern MN for adults

Thanks for the replies thus far! I am going to check out those sites!

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,170 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need a resort in Northern MN for adults

You might want to google " Minnesota Resorts" and that will bring up a lot of hits. Your requirements are fairly broad, and this will be a good way to find what you are looking for.

tptr

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Need a resort in Northern MN for adults

Alright, I have been googling and I am not finding any good search engines to get what we are really looking for. HELP!!! We want a cabin on a lake, preferably on a lake that has good walleye fishing, we need it to accept pets and we need it to have wi-fi access preferably in our cabin. We are also looking for $1200 or less for the week, we are not looking for a super top of the line place but then again not a super ghetto place either......if anyone knows of a good serach engine or a resort that meets this criteria we would be really grateful! Thanks!

Duluth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
43 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need a resort in Northern MN for adults

You don't say when you are planning on coming. With what you are looking for and the price point, it may be difficult. Cabin rentals in Northern MN have not gone down much with the recession. With the desire to go walleye fishing, your best bet will be in the Ely/Lake Vermillion area. Here is a link with some resorts.

www.premierminnesotaresorts.com/lodges.html

I think most of the resorts you are going to find are kid-friendly unless you look for the more economical (read: not great) fisherman aimed resorts and then you won't get the amenities that you want.

One resort we have stayed at (great people that run it) is very family focused but it was quiet and great is Eagle Nest Lodge up north of Grand Rapids. Great walleye fishing and clean cabins. Link: http://eaglenestlodge.net

Good luck!

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need a resort in Northern MN for adults

A little "out of the box" and absolutely as far 'Norther MN" as you can get but how about Lake of the Woods? In particular somewhere like Flag Island. The resort there has several multi-room cabins (one with 6 bedrooms) that have kitchens. If your boat is up to large lake conditions and you can ferry everyone and gear over it's a great get-away with no kids. Usual access is from Angle Inlet. For a small fee most of the resorts will ferry people/gear over if two boats are needed. There, and several nearby resorts like Oak Island, have restaurants and bars. Even on the US side of the border fishing is great but with a Canadian license the Sioux Narrows area is spectacular not only for Walleye but also massive slab size Crappies (many 14"+ last time I was there). Can't remember the name but there's at resort up in Sioux Narrows with a great restaurant.

But main thing is kids are rare. Downside is hiking opportunities are sparse.

Duluth, MN
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need a resort in Northern MN for adults

Check out ely.org for some selections.

North Dakota
Level Contributor
430 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need a resort in Northern MN for adults

Hello:

The North Shore is one of the most beautiful places to visit. Fishing on Lake Superior will depend on the weather. I am going to plug the Bemidji, Cass Lake and Walker areas. There are several lakes that connect via the Mississippi River. Morning Star Resort on Lake Andrusia is nice. There are several resorts on Cass Lake. Walleye fishing has picked up on Leech Lake in the Walker area. Also, Lake Winnibigosh has great walleye fishing and several resorts.

This area has hiking in the Chippewa National Forest and Lake Bemidji State Park. Itasca is within an hours drive from these areas and it has hiking trails.

Although I have not stayed in this area for awhile, Park Rapids has some very nice lakes.

Let me know if you would like more specific information about this area.

LTTT

Minnesota
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need a resort in Northern MN for adults

I agree very much with "LTTT" regarding the beauty of the North Shore, and Walker area is definitely worth a look as well. For your price, look at Ruttger's in Grand Rapids (more central MN that North, but a good choice). I've stayed there more times than I can count and always enjoy the visit. Cabins are a little close to one another, but still plenty of privacy in a laid-back atmosphere. You can choose from either cabins right on the lake or condo (I have never stayed in the condos).

North Shore area -- try Tuscarora Lodge in Grand Marais (http://www.tuscaroracanoe.com/index.htm). Or Lusten Resort (they have a lot of accommodation choices, including cabin), in Lusten, MN www.lutsenresort.com/lodging/logcabins/. Have enjoyed both these locations.

Have fun!! I'm jealous!