We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baseball game end of June

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Elgin...
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Baseball game end of June

A few friends and I are road tripping up to MN for a baseball game the end of June. Looking for good hotel ideas near the stadium as well as good post game bars. A good breakfast spot would be appreciated too. I was told about someplace where they are dressed in pajamas, but don't remember the name.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,425 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baseball game end of June

plenty of hotels near the new stadium

check out Graves, Chambers, Westin, W, Hilton, Marriott, etc - all downtown.

Breakfast can't be bet at Ike's on the weekend - HUGE brunch, or Hell's Kitchen (make rez if considering).

Post game, depending on your age group -

Kieren's Block E, or DrinkBar, or the Loon

consider steaks one night at Manny's Steakhouse, again.. make rez a few weeks before dining

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,425 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baseball game end of June

... yeah... pajamas... that would be Hell's Kitchen, especially on Sunday mornings

if up for seeing the ladies, check out The Seville, just south of the Target Center, next to O'Donovan's Irish tavern (you can get passes there)

South Elgin...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Baseball game end of June

Thanks for the ideas. We're in our early 30s if that helps. O'Donovons was mentioned to me before, I think. We're into bars with live music, not clubs. I was told Block E was mainly clubs? The Seville is a good idea for four guys away from home, but it looks like it maybe pricey. Anyway good to know. Thanks

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,425 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baseball game end of June

be sure to get free passes for the Seville at O'Donovans.. that will help with the cover

check out First Avenue for live music -

or at this site

www.CityPages.com

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baseball game end of June

Every time I go to MSP I stay at the Millenium downtown. The last few years they've had great deals if you're going to a baseball game, but you'll have to ask. It's about a 15 minute walk to the new stadium, on the way to which you'll pass First Ave.: probably the best music venue in MPLS.

The Millenium is about a block away from Brit's Pub as well as other bars, but they have the most to offer. (Lawn bowling on the roof!?!) Check out their site. Also in the area is Gluek's bar. Great place with good food that's not a club and walkable (stumbleable?) to the hotel. Suggested itin. based on walking/drinking: Twins game, Gluek's, Brit's, hotel.

As far as breakfast the next day, I can't really say, but the good thing about the Millenium is that is on the edge of downtown so it's easy to get somewhere outside of downtown.

Enjoy Minneapolis. I'm going in May to see the Twins and I can't wait!

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,613 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baseball game end of June

For breakfast, Hell's Kitchen as mentioned is popular -- but make reservations. For something less in demand and excellent, nearby is Key's. Delisious, reasonable (not cheap) prices. Most any hotel along Nicollet Mall will do. Heck, I'd even try one of the price bidding sites because there really isn't a hotel I wouldn't want to stay in -- just make sure it's in the right district -- downtown.

Good postgame bar would be the Loon. That's a short walk. Not sure how postgame dynamic will be because the ballpark has not held a real game yet -- but that will most certainly be the place everyone goes. (Loon, that is). It's a Twins bar anyway, now it likely will take the place of Hubert's as the pre and postgame hangout.

Other than that, O'Donovan's is a nice spot. And I think Kieran's (freshly moved to a new location) is a good option too. If you don't care about having high-quality beer on tap, most other place down there will do. I really like Cuzzy's if you don't mind getting a cab back to the hotel. It's walking distance from the ballpark, but you'd be walking in the wrong direction from your hotel -- down to Washington. That also is a good Twins bar -- even when the Twins were slummin' it in the Dome.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,613 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baseball game end of June

One other point, if the ballgame is Saturday or Friday, then you might just settle for the first bar you can get into. Because it's going to be a zoo! If Loon is too packed, I'd try Gluek's a block away. They do have live music -- but nothing good. Usually cheesy ciover bands. But it's a good palce for beers -- and pretty sizable.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
255 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Baseball game end of June

Gluek's is a great bar, and their house brews are fantastic. There are also a ton of bars down First Avenue. If you don't mind walking a couple blocks away, Bootleggers has a patio out back where they'll grill up hot dogs and burgers (that is, if you didn't get enough food during the game - much more reasonably priced than stadium food). Block E is not mostly clubs. Maybe that's what they wanted when they built it, but it's more restaurant/bar type places. With the exception of Kieran's Irish Pub, they're all chains, too (Applebee's, Hooters, Hard Rock).

I'm a local, so I don't know anything about the hotels. I've heard the Marquette Hotel on 7th and Marquette downtown is nice, and it's probably not more than a half mile walk to Target Field. Graves 601 is closer, but it's one of the most expensive hotels in the city.

For breakfast, the best places are Key's, Ike's, and Hell's Kitchen. Hell's Kitchen is a lot more trendy than the others. Key's is more like a greasy spoon diner (well, it was before it moved, anyway).

Also, quick tip for when you're at the ball game: the $10.50 steak sandwich is not worth the money or the wait. Instead, stand in line for the Kramarczuk’s Polish sausage. Worth every penny, but you'll probably miss an inning waiting in line. Still worth it.

NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Baseball game end of June

I'm flying in May to catch a night and day game then back to MSP. Reservation at the Marquette. Question is better to take light rail in or rent a car? Not really going to drive anywhere else. Sat is a 12:10pm game, how early for a 5pm flight out?

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,425 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Baseball game end of June

I would not do car - the Marquette is on 7th street and the light rail is on 5th street - just up two blocks at Nicollet Mall Station.

I would leave downtown at 3 p.m. for a 5 flight.

Plan on 40 minutes from the time you step on light rail, til you are at check in counter.

There are Delta check ins on the floor below luggage claim, where the light rail will drop you off. You can shave some time off if you are not checking a bag, and check in online and already have boarding pass.