We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is Minneapolis?

Florida Native
Level Contributor
122 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
What is Minneapolis?

Perhaps this is an odd question, but I would like someone to direct me during our brief visit in July to some venue that represents Minneapolis, the city. Perhaps, a hometown spot, or maybe some recent monument that symbolizes the town, defines the area, the people. Suggestions?

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
574 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is Minneapolis?

For a night out....Nye's Polonaise!! There might be newer places, better known venues, and trendier bars but in my humble opinion Nye's represents everything that is classic yet hip in Minneapolis. Plus you'll have a heck of a good time.

http://www.nyespolonaise.com/

My other, more nature based suggestion, would be to spend time along Minnehaha Creek, through the chain of lakes, and eventually to Minnehaha Falls and eventually to the Mississippi River.

Have fun & I'm sure you'll get some great suggestions.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is Minneapolis?

Watch the movie Fargo before you go to MN

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is Minneapolis?

I would generally agree with Sully, and generally disagree with Katzgar (sorry, Katzgar). Nye's for a classic, yet interesting, local place is a good suggestion. It has been far too long since I've personally been there, and should go again. The nature aspect is definitely something you must consider. Minneapolis, as the "City of Lakes" is really nothing if not for its lakes, rivers and parks. As a further consideration on this vein, check out the Mississippi river/Grand Round Trail (minneapolisparks.org/grandrounds/dist_DR.htm), especially in the area of Mill City Museum and Guthrie Theater area. Mill City Museum (www.millcitymuseum.org) speaks to Minneapolis history as a milling capital which resulted in companies such as General Mills and the Guthrie Theater (www.guthrietheater.org) to Minneapolis' rich theater history, which so happens to be right along the Mississippi River and Grand Rounds trails.

"Fargo" is, from what I remember, an exaggerated version of some stereotypes of what "Minnesota is supposed to be". Yes, I understand stereotypes are somewhat based on truth, but I just don't think you're getting a full picture of all Minneapolis is all about from that movie. There is certainly more than heavy Midwestern accents to us...

I would also suggest two other items to consider...new home of the Twins at Target Field. The field is really a spectacular field, brings lots of Minnesotans, and has been said to have elements of the Minnesota State Fair about it. The Twins brought various local food establishments into the stadium for you to try. You also get a great collection of Minnesotans out for the game so you have quite the opportunity to people watch - sort of like at the Minnesota State Fair. Additionally, if you are here during the Minneapolis Aquatennial (July 16-24, www.aquatennial.org), that is definitely a "Minneapolis event". It's actually a bunch of various events that is the "Main Street civic community pride event" writ large. Parades, competitions at Minneapolis various lakes, live music events and various other events...celebrating all things Minneapolis. Well worth checking out if you're here during that period of time.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
538 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is Minneapolis?

Minneapolis is the Lakes--Isles, Calhoun, Harriet in particular. Ride/bike/or walk around Lake of the Isles and see how the other one percent lives. Rent a canoe on the NE corner of Calhoun, and paddle under the bridge into Isles. Visit the little gnome / elf / faerie /whaever with the little door on Harriet.

I generally agree with sully_mn.

If you think that Moonstuck accurately depects New York, then Fargo is deadon for Minneapolis, and Katzgar is right. But as a lifelong MN resident, I have yet to put anyone through a wood chipper.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,679 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is Minneapolis?

I would agree on Nye's but even moreso on the Chain of Lakes. Try to arrange a bike rental and tour all of them. Take in the views of the skyline on Calhoun and Harriet -- then wander around Harriett to check out the architecture of the homes that line Harriet Parkway. And get ice cream at the bandshell and watch the sailboats.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is Minneapolis?

In short, Minneapolis is about the parks and the people. I would include the lakes, rivers, gardens under "parks". And downtown is another great place to people watch.

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
317 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is Minneapolis?

Katzgar, that is funny...especially since Fargo is not in MN.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is Minneapolis?

thanks pjfmpls, gotta have a little levity now and again

minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is Minneapolis?

Katzgar, your levity might better be directed toward Seattle, since MN obviously doesn't hold the same affection for you as it does for us?

minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is Minneapolis?

Sorry luvtodance that this forum is taking a different direction...

My response to your question is:

Walker Art Museum & Sculpture Garden along with Loring Park - enjoy the outdoors in the garden, or catch the exhibits and 2021 restaurant if weather's not cooperating; walk across the bridge and explore/people watch at Loring Park, visit the rooftop patio at Joe's Garage, Bar Lurcat or the Loring Kitchen & Bar.

N Hennepin & Mill City area:

Best quality farmer's market in the cities, walk/bike/segway exploration of St Anthony Main & River Road, Mill City Museum, work your way up N Hennepin for a rioutous night at Nye's, supper at Garden's of Salonica or Red Stag or Bulldog NE (burgers), or pack a picnic lunch from Surdyk's deli; take a walk on the hedonistic wild side at Ground Zero or dance the night away at The Front

Northeast:

Head on up to NE and catch old-fashioned cocktails and steaks at Jax, see great local music at 331 Club, enjoy the down-to-earth neighborhood joints & cafes

If you see anything that interests you, let us know and we'll elaborate moreso.