We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sad news: Azia closing

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Sad news: Azia closing

startribune.com/entertainment/…

That is a sad piece of news for late-night food lovers and happy hour seekers. What a great place.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,491 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sad news: Azia closing

Funny - I just read on the Downtown Journal that he was opening in that place on Hennepin where Zake closed. The printed article didn't mention Azia was closing. They updated the article online -

www.downtownjournal.com/index.php…

I hope he can make it work.

As for the name, I wonder if it's a tribute the the imfamous punches served at the Nankin & Red Dragon ?? "Wanderers Wondrous" ??

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sad news: Azia closing

Well, before the Red Dragon had the Wondrous Punch the Nankin in downtown (and if my foggy memory serves me right 0-- in the same space where Pham is opening his new place) had the Wanderer.

The head chef of the Nankin (which was a chinese staple for as long as anyone can remember downtown Minneapolis) moved to the Red Dragon. And I think that's where the Wondrous Punch came from.

Both drinks would leave you wandering. We used to go the Nankin and then when it closed, we went to the Red Dragon and decided that a human being could drink only 2.5 Punches before losing ability to see.

So it seems there is a Minneapolis tradition playing off that name.

I still have not gotten over the closure of the Nankin. The place had been there for generations and it was THE restaurant I associated with DT Mpls. Given Pham's history of packing up and moving every few years, it doesn't appear we'll be getting another downtown mainstay for the next few generations.

Honestly, I'm too lazy to look it up but I think the Nankin was there since like WWI.

Anyway, I'll miss Azia too. They got a bad rap for being spendy. I think if you thought it was spendy then you were dumb enough to pay full price. And I say dumb because they had fantastic happy hours twice a day. The late-night food happy hour was night owl's heaven. Cranbery-cream wontons and Summit? I will miss thee

Minneapolis MN
Level Contributor
495 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sad news: Azia closing

Eh, it's not like there aren't a lot places in that neighborhood where you can get cheap Asian food. There is definitely room for another Asian place downtown - the only one (excepting the stuff in the skyways which close at 3PM anyway) I can think of offhand is Sawatadee.

I wasn't a huge fan of Azia anyway. The food and drinks were fine, but the crowd could get to be a little too Uptown (pretentious hipster) for my tastes.

4. Re: Sad news: Azia closing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2011, 06:17