We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I fly into Omaha, or Minneapolis to Mitchell,SD

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wernersville
Level Contributor
22 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Should I fly into Omaha, or Minneapolis to Mitchell,SD

What is an easier drive, from Omaha or Minneapolis to Mitchell,SD? I will be visiting our son in Mitchell, SD. What is the amount of time to drive from both distances? Its cheaper to fly into Minneapolis, than Omaha. Please don't mention Sioux Falls, they have OUTRAGEOUS airfares to pay flying into there. I think Minneapolis is about 1 hour longer to drive than Omaha. Any thoughts you could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mark.....

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
1,033 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I fly into Omaha, or Minneapolis to Mitchell,SD

I have no idea what the difference in airfare will be, but Mpls. is a Delta hub so you might get a better fare. The drive through Minnesota will be much prettier then driving through Nebraska IMO.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,656 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I fly into Omaha, or Minneapolis to Mitchell,SD

How much more is it to fly to Omaha?

I don't think either would be a particularly scenic drive, to be honest. And if it were me going to see his son, I would choose speed over scenery anyway. And Omaha is at least an hour closer, likely more.

Unless there is a huge fare difference, I would choose the closer airport. But then again, I hate driving.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
618 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I fly into Omaha, or Minneapolis to Mitchell,SD

We actually flew out of Sioux Falls for less than 1/2 the price of flying out of Minneapolis a few weeks ago by flying Alegiant vs. Delta.

I would choose Omaha over Minneapolis as it is closer.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I fly into Omaha, or Minneapolis to Mitchell,SD

Google maps shows about 45-60 minute longer drive from Minneapolis. Though I have not actually driven the interstates between Omaha and Mitchell, I would guess the drive in terms of scenery will be relatively similar - a lot of farmland (not bad, but not necessarily breathtaking either). I guess my advice would be if the fares are relatively similar go for the time option - Omaha. If there is a large difference in price, then perhaps 45-60 minutes is not a terrible amount of extra time.

By the way, not to push Southwest but if you're using sites such as Travelocity/Expedia, I don't think Southwest uses those sites. You might want to at least check out Minneapolis' newest airline website to see if a better deal can be found. In my experience, sometimes they're cheaper, sometimes not - though their touted difference is no nickel-and-dime luggage fees (which is what grinds my gears about airlines, to name one thing.)

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,831 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I fly into Omaha, or Minneapolis to Mitchell,SD

As Minnesota Rand said...fly into Sioux Falls.

The drive from Minneapolis is longggg. I have done it and would never do it again...my dad lives down in the southern part of Minnesota...and we need to go to Sioux Falls alot...the same way you would be driving...Just fly into Sioux Falls, then get a rental car and do the Mitchell drive...spend the time with your son, instead of being on those roads!

6. Re: Should I fly into Omaha, or Minneapolis to Mitchell,SD

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2011, 05:18