We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel for Vikings Game

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel for Vikings Game

Hello,

I'm coming from Australia for a football holiday in December. One of the games I will be going to is the Monday night game between the Bears and the Vikings (this game appealed a lot more to m yesterday when favre was still playing) on December 20.

I have never been to Minneapolis before and to be honest I don't really know very much about the city. I am looking for a good value hotel that is easy to get to the stadium to by public transport. The travel agent has quoted me the Crowne Plaza which appears to be pretty close and seems pretty good value for money. Is this hotel alright to get to the stadium from or should I look at some other hotels?

Also, after the game I will be spending the Tuesday in the city sight seeing before heading out on Wednesday. So somewhere that has public transport handy that I can use to get to areas of interest (and at this stage I do not know what those are) would also be handy too. But easy access to the football is my priority.

Thanks for your help guys, can't wait to see the Vikings beat the bears! :)

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel for Vikings Game

First, let's clarify to make sure you have been quoted the Crowne Plaza Northstar at 6th Street and 2nd Avenue. I say that because there is a Crowne Plaza North in a neighboring suburb that has tripped people up before, thinking they were in for a downtown stay.

If it is the Crowne Plaza at 6th and 2nd Avenue, then you are walking distance to the Metrodome. I wouldn't call it a short walk, but if this is your first Vikings game in Minneapolis, you'll enjoy the walk and watching all the purple jerseys and paraphernalia walking around downtown.

What's more, that walk will take you past the two parking lots that serve as the tailgating lots for the game -- where hundreds of fans will be partying (barbecue, beer, tossing footballs, card games .. whatever you can imagine goes on at a pre-football party happens there) for hours before kickoff.

I can't speak to the hotel itself as I have not been there. But it is a good location for both walking to the game (won't need public transport for that) and accessing public transport -- both buses and the light rail line that connects downtown with the Mall of America AND the airport. Which means you should take the light rail train from airport to downtown to save on a taxi or shuttle. It's safe and easy to use -- just buy a standard ticket from a vending machine on the platform and that will last you two hours and works on buses as wel. You don't have to have it scanned or give it to a collector. You just have to have it with you in case a security worker asks you for proof of fare.

You are a long walk (but walkable) to the riverfront, which I would suggest you visit to see some sites. That is really the birthplace of the city, which was settled there to harness the power of the only naturally occurring waterfall on the Mississippi River to cut lumber and eventually to power flour mills. Pretty interesting how it grew Minneapolis into a world power in food production: Pillsbury, General Mills, Gold Medal.

Other sites are easily reached via public transport:

Minnehaha Park (and waterfall): Light rail (you'll pass it on way from airport)

Chain of Lakes (specifically Harriet and Calhoun): Bus

St. Paul (bus -- 94 Express)

Mall of America (which I hate but I understand the appeal forvisitors): Light rail

see metrotransit.org to plan your routes. Very easy to use. The more you study routes and use the route planner, the more places you can access here.

And don't be too convinced yet Favre is retiring. Hearing a lot of back pedaling today from the reporter who broke the story. So who knows? Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't.

Edited: 04 August 2010, 14:09
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,024 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel for Vikings Game

Virtually any hotel downtown is "close" to the Metrodome, except the Holiday Inn Metrodome which is longer walk or cab, so it comes down to preferences. I like the 2 Marriott properties at the Depot, the Marriott City Center, and the Marquette & Westin & NorthStar - the last 3 are all close the light rail stop.... For the game, many downtown bars will have shuttles for a nominal cost, or you can walk the indoor skyway system almost the entire way. Downtown is very safe and fun, especially on game day.

Robbinsdale...
Level Contributor
319 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel for Vikings Game

G'Day loosenut1983-

Welcome to our fine neck of the woods. Keep in mind the date: Dec. 20 equels a good chance of Minnesota winter weather, this may dictate how much walking and sight seeing you will do. NOT trying to scare you away...but you also might want to be sure to bring warm clothes...the game is not quite as rowdy as Australian Rules Football ( which I used to love to watch ) but you will have a great time...

Edited: 04 August 2010, 19:04
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel for Vikings Game

Thanks for all the advice guys! I think I'll stay with the hotel I have. I'll just have to double check the address.

Yes the temperature is something that is worrying me! I live in a really hot city... in fact it will be the middle of summer when I leave Australia so I will be leaving 100 degree temperatures. It is winter here at the moment and on a REALLY cold day it might get to about 35 in the morning... but as the sun comes up it warms up pretty quickly.

I have no idea what to wear in cities like Minneapolis, Chicago and Green Bay. There is a pretty good chance I could do of frost bite :) I'm thinking of buying warm clothes in the US (thankfully I am spending a few days in San Diego before I head to MIN) and then donating them to charity when I leave to save on backage costs on the plane... plus I will never wear clothes designed for temperatures that cold again in Australia :)

Thanks again guys!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel for Vikings Game

It appears you have made your choice and I think you will have a good stay. However, I have to absolutely disagree with the poster that claims Holiday Inn Metrodome is not close to the Metrodome. If you do a Google map search, you will find both Holiday Inn and Crowne Plaza are exactly .5 miles away. That's not to say there aren't other close hotels to the Metrodome, just that it's unfair to say Holiday Inn "isn't close". Additionally, Holiday Inn provides shuttle service to and from the games if you don't want to walk that 1/2 mile.

As far as clothes, San Diego may not be the most ideal location to buy warm clothes, at least warm enough to accommodate a Minneapolis winter - though it will be better than nothing! However, if you stay at Crowne Plaza, you will be connected to the "Skyway", which are pedestrian bridges over the streets in most downtown Minneapolis buildings. From your hotel you can get to stores with clothes without going outside. You could then shop at stores such as Macy's (if you're feeling like spending a little more) or Target (if you're feeling like a little less). You'll be okay, don't be too afraid of our weather!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel for Vikings Game

Additional note regarding distance - ironically all the properties BK mentioned in his post - with the exception of Crowne at the same distance (Marriott properties, Westin, Marquette) are all further from the nearest point of the Dome to those properties. All those properties are nice and shouldn't be dismissed outright, just that the distance isn't an issue.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel for Vikings Game

Thanks wouldbeworldtraveler. My first stop in MIN will be target via the skyway!

I am getting so excited about this holiday. At first I was nervous about going to all these places by myself... but I am starting to get really excited.

Now all I have to do is hope favre's ankle heals soon! :)

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel for Vikings Game

I agree , wouldbeworldtraveler.

The HI Metrodome is not very far of a walk to the Dome at ALL. Popular location for visiting fans. Though I think the poster has done well to book the CP Northstar with its connections and its location accessbile to the Dome and Nicollet Mall. Also, the walk will take him past the tailgate lots where he can warm up around someone's fire, maybe even mine!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel for Vikings Game

Ahh Bad news! I'm staying at the other Crowne Plaza. Crowne Plaza North. According to google it appears to be at 2200 Freeway Blvd • Brooklyn Center, MN 55430 and seems to be a bit of a hike from the Metrodome.

Man that sucks. I don't know what I'm going to do now...

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel for Vikings Game

Can't you cancel? You do not want to stay in Brooklyn Center. It's nowhere near the game. Or anything for that matter.,