We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 hours layover in Minneapolis !

Glasgow, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
8 hours layover in Minneapolis !

Hi everyone, I am transiting through St.Pauls airport in a couple of weeks. I am travelling onto Calgary - so it's an international connection.

I've never been to Minneapolis (or the USA) before. The idea of American customs is kinda putting me off thinking about leaving the airport - but i also think that 8 hours is too long to hang around. So - is Minneapolis / St.Pauls worth a look then? I noticed a previous poster was thinking about going to the mall of America. Whatever that is - but 8 hours in a shopping centre doesn't appeal much either. Any thoughts people?

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,837 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 hours layover in Minneapolis !

You'll go stir crazy with 8 hrs in the airport.

The one light rail line we have runs from downtown Minneapolis down to the Mall of America and stops at the airport.

Either check out the mall, or head north to downtown. It's about a 25 min ride to the core of downtown - Nicolett Mall station. Plenty to do, see, eat, and buy.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 hours layover in Minneapolis !

While it is more than an ordinary shopping center, I would hate that in your first visit to the US you went to a shopping center. I think downtown (Nicollet Mall stop as suggested) would be more interesting for you.

Light rail is very easy to use and safe. You buy a ticket from a vending machine on the platform before you board. Good for two hours.

Hartford, SD
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 hours layover in Minneapolis !

The light rail makes travel easy within the area. I would also recommend going downtown MSP and enjoying the time you have available to look around. The MOA is neat also if you are looking for something closer with lots of places to eat and maybe a great place to get some trinkets.

Indian Land, SC
Level Contributor
61 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 hours layover in Minneapolis !

The light rail is very convenient to ride. MOA is a possibility and you could easily spend 4 or 5 hours there.

I would recommend the Mill City Museum. You get off at the Metrodome and walk 3 blocks to the river. You can either go to the museum or walk across the Stone Arch Bridge to the other side of the Mississippi.

http://www.millcitymuseum.org/

Minneapolis, MN
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 hours layover in Minneapolis !

I would also recommend going to the river, the Mill City is a museum of the history of the city and its ties to the milling industry on the Mississippi River. The Mississippi River is a nice place to walk and you can cross the Stone Arch Bridge and check out the river and the architecture that lines it.

Minneapolis, MN
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 hours layover in Minneapolis !

I forgot to mention that there are easy to rent bikes all over downtown. Check out Nice Ride (niceridemn.org) for more information. There are kiosks all over downtown with bikes to rent for short term (half hour) rentals. If you can leave your bags somewhere, this would be a great option for a quick exploration of the downtown area and surrounding neighborhoods.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
56 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 hours layover in Minneapolis !

The Mall of America is gigantic. I used to live in Minneapolis and I still get lost in that place.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
684 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 8 hours layover in Minneapolis !

I stay away from the Mall of America as much as possible! Enjoy the beautiful Mpls. weather and sights and stay out of the mall.

9. Re: 8 hours layover in Minneapolis !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2011, 06:18