We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food Food Food

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Simi Valley, CA
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Food Food Food

Hello,

I am heading to Minneapolis this weekend? Any good places to eat? I was thinking about going to the German place and Brasa (Man VS Food episode). Any good bars with happy hour/ cheap beers and good food? We like good food but we like the food found in dives and lunch trucks.

What is a "can't go to minneapolis and not eat..."?

Thanks,

Minneapolis MN
Level Contributor
509 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food Food Food

Brasa is really good. I've eaten there a few times. The beer isn't cheap there but it's good quality stuff like Surly. The food is pretty reasonable, though. Their two-meat entrees give you a ton of food for around $15.

I take it from your other post that you're staying downtown and won't have a car? If that is the case, I'd recommend heading just south of downtown on Nicollet and hitting the "Eat Street" area. It's heavy on Asian places, but there is a good amount represented, and there is a German place (Black Forest Inn) in the area.

Again, it's not the cheapest place for drinks, but if you want to tie one on and save a few bucks, IIRC Pancho Villa's is about a half block away and has 2 for 1 beers and margaritas all day.

Edited: 12 October 2010, 03:23
Minneapolis MN
Level Contributor
509 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food Food Food

Sorry for the double post, but here is a link with info on Eat Street

twincitiesdiningguide.com/pages/minneapolis_…

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
574 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food Food Food

Al's in Dinkytown (U-Mn campus) for breakfast. It's a one-of-a-kind experience!

Besides Al's, here are the area restaurant's featured on Diners, Dives, & Drive-ins:

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=diners+drive+ins+and+dives&find_loc=Minneapolis%2C+MN

Nye's is a great place, too, for both food & drink.

http://www.nyespolonaise.com/

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food Food Food

I 2nd Nye's. It's a great experience even if you just go for a Jumbo Cocktail. For bars with happy hours check out www.thriftyhipster.com. That will show you all happy hours for downtown, dinkytown (UofM) and Northeast. If you have transportation, I would check out Northeast Minneapolis. Psycho Suzies is a fun bar with really good Pizza and drinks. Hell's Kitchen would be worth checking out downtown.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,656 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food Food Food

if you are downtown with no car, you can explore plenty of great food spots there. But downtown doesn't really have dives (at least not with good food).

You can connect easily to Uptown from downtown via bus. One place I would recommend for a great happy hour is the Herkimer on Lyndale. Lyndale is a main vein through Uptown that will require no bus changes -- so easy to get to. It's at the intersection of Lyndale and Lake Street.

WOnderful happy hour with beer specials. They brew their own and serve only their own. Fantastic pub-style food. I'd call it pub grub but it's better than that. Happy hour menu provides for good deals too.

I don't really consider there to be one place you HAVE to go. It depends on taste, budget, location, etc.

Nye's is a riot. Food is so-so, to me. But the experience is simply the best. Go on a Friday or Saturday night though, when the polka band is playing

minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food Food Food

Man, I can't believe the foodies on this forum have listed so few options! ThriftyHipster is awesome for happy hour finds. Seven Sushi & Steakhouse is a great place for HH, and they have a huge menu.

Nye's is fun and I love their food. Brasa & Hell's Kitchen are tops on my list. I would also add moto-I in Uptown, dine on the rooftop if the weather remains nice, and have a plain lychee martini, killer! Also recommend 112 Eatery - if you can't get reservations, cozy up to the bar when they open at 5:00. Another favorite is Gardens of Salonica, the lamb is to die for, as are the pitas.

You can combine a couple landmarks+restaurants if you'd like. 2021 in the Walker Art Museum is very good with a great view, great brunch. And Sea Change in the Guthrie is getting rave reviews. Be sure to enjoy the view from the cantilever balcony over St Anthony Falls. And while in the area (also near Nye's) check out the Astor Cafe - very quaint & cozy with live music.

Have a great visit.

southwest sunshine
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Food Food Food

Question about Nyes...how far a walk is it to there from nearest LR stop?

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
574 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food Food Food

About one mile.

The closest LR stop (in my estimation) is near Target Center. To Nyes from TC you would follow Heneppin Ave east across the Mississippi River.

southwest sunshine
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Food Food Food

Thanks...

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
574 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food Food Food

You can get a transfer from the LR and catch a bus...