We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic Winter drives

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic Winter drives

I'm going to Minneapolis this weekend to visit my elderly mom. Was trying to think of something to do with her to get her out of the house. Are there any scenic drives that would be fairly safe in the winter time? Any other ideas? She is wheelchair bound.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
1,033 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic Winter drives

You can check with our local newspaper the Star Tribune, they list all the holiday light displays that are worth seeing. It's fun to do a lights tours after dark. Safety always is day to day depending on the weather. It's ever changing.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic Winter drives

here's a link with good tips --

…about.com/od/…christmaslights.htm

Minnesota
Level Contributor
379 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic Winter drives

Summit Avenue in St. Paul is always interesting because of the great old houses. Ends at the Cathedral and overlooks the Capitol and downtown St. Paul. Sort of the same type of great architecture around Lake of the Isles in Minneapolis.

Out of town, down to Red Wing and then to Lake City along the Mississippi is pretty. Also, Highway 95 from Stillwater to Taylors Falls is pretty along the St. Croix River. The trees in the St. Croix Valley have been coated with snow for over a week now and are beautiful. Only problem with these drives out of the cities is that we're supposed to get some snow Friday followed by cold and wind on Saturday. I'd opt for Summit Avenue I think. Could also go on River Road along the Mississippi with that one. Would be all in the city.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
574 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic Winter drives

There is an oak tree lit up along Hwy 77 just south of the Mall of America that is spectacular at night.....well worth the drive and you can see it from the freeway.

From Minneapolis drive south on 77 (west side of the Mall of America) and you can see it on the west side of the road as you descend into the Minnesota River Valley. The first exit after the river is Hwy 13 and just do a couple loops on the exit ramps and head back north for the really good view. My wife and I were at the mall last night night and did this before going home.

…cbslocal.com/2010/…

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
574 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic Winter drives

I should say from Minneapolis head toward the Mall Of American then drive south on Hyw 77....

St. Louis
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scenic Winter drives

Thanks everyone for the idea. This is great information.

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scenic Winter drives

The weather is going to be grim to say the least on Saturday. Still looks like near a foot of snow total with it starting late Fruday night so even first thing in morning will be bad. Then winds kicking in and temps plummeting to a hig of maybe zero on Sunday. Not a good weekend at all to be out and about. Even within The Cities. My wife uses a wheelchair sometimes and in deep snow it is impossible to push. Even just getting from parking lot to mall entrance.

- EXCEPT Mall of America where there is plenty of covered places. It might not be real busy due ot the snow but then trouble just getting there would be the reason nobody else is there.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,658 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scenic Winter drives

Well, this weekend might be tricky. 2 feet of snow on the way for much of the area. Which means driving might not be a good idea. Now a stroll around the neighborhood to gaze at the beautious blanket of fresh whiteness might be nice, provided you have a plowed place to walk

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,658 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scenic Winter drives

I meant to say 1-2 feet. I doubt any places will see 2 whole feet of snowfall. Forecast is for 12-16 inches, with severe drifting.

Edited: 10 December 2010, 20:34
Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scenic Winter drives

I hope Cheryl gets back to us regarding how she handled the weekend. I've been hoping that she rescheduled her visit. Today would've been a beautiful day for a drive, but yesterday was a day for staying inside!