We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in MN for under age 25

jmklt@aol.com
3 posts
Save Topic
Car rental in MN for under age 25

Does anyone know of the best company to rent a car from if you are only 22 years old?

Thanks.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental in MN for under age 25

I seem to remember Thrifty and Enterprise being the (relatively) best deal for under 25.

Hertz has also been known to offer rentals using only a Mastercard or Visa branded debit card (most companies had required an actual credit card). That said, they may also have some flexibility on the age requirement.

Things to keep in mind and that you may already know:

1) Under 25 usually brings a daily surcharge to rent from most companies.

2) If you happen to use only a debit card to rent (assuming they let you do this), expect to have the entire rental cost plus $200 in your bank account at the rental counter - and expect to have it held from your account until after you return the car regardless of whether you pay with the card or another way. Of course, you only pay actual charges but it might take a number of days to get a hold released.

3) The companies may also have some additional restrictions such as no additional drivers on the car rental if you're under 25.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,962 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental in MN for under age 25

Most major rental companies do offer the ability to rent under 25 but there's a surcharge. My staff encounter this occasionally. I'm also going to guess that Enterprise might be a good first choice to check. And note that Enterprise MAY offer different deals at off-airport than on-airport. Good luck, I know it's a hassle.

Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental in MN for under age 25

Yes, Enterprise has different policies between airport and non-airport rentals with debit cards. I visited the Tampa Bay area in February and originally planned on renting a car for only the weekend. It turned out that local rental sites would only rent to local debit cards, but only the airport would accept non-local debit cards. I got a fantastic deal of a week rental for $100 which also included all the charges. I suspect that Enterprise has that policy elsewhere.

Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
4. Re: Car rental in MN for under age 25

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2012, 05:30