We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Minneapolis-St. Paul week of 3/28

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Zionsville, Indiana
Level Contributor
72 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in Minneapolis-St. Paul week of 3/28

Will be in Minn-St. Paul for a few days 3/28-3/30 or 3/31. Spending 1 day at MOA for my 14 year old daughter and will probably go to the Nicollet Mall area too. Seems like tours start 4/1 or 4/2 so that won't work. Any other tours or ways to check out the city while we're here? Assume weather will be marginal. Any help on what to do other than shop would be great. Not into pro sports teams--prefer to get the lay of the land so we feel like we've see this town.

Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in Minneapolis-St. Paul week of 3/28

People have posted on this forum about enjoying tours with MetroConnections, and they have already started their season of tours. Here's their website, and you also might want to do a search for the earlier posts on this forum. metroconnections.com/public_tours/Twin-Citie…

Zionsville, Indiana
Level Contributor
72 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in Minneapolis-St. Paul week of 3/28

Thanks but when I checked out their website, tours are only offered on Saturdays now and we'll be there Monday through Wed/Thurs. Any other ideas???

minneapolis
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in Minneapolis-St. Paul week of 3/28

The Science Museum in St. Paul has a King Tut exhibit right now - amazing! And an omni theater as well. There are two zoos - I guess I am assuming you have transportation. The Zoo in St. Paul is free and there is another bigger zoo in Apple Valley. If you have decent weather we have lakes like Calhoun or Isles that you can take a walk around and see the houses on the lakes. That might be a start!?!?

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in Minneapolis-St. Paul week of 3/28

One fun place to eat on Nicollet Mall is the SkyRoom on the 12th floor of Macys

Huge salad bar with soups and pasta salads too

M-F 11am til 2 or so

The place is always hoppin

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in Minneapolis-St. Paul week of 3/28

I recommend going to the Mill City Museum in Minneapolis. It is pretty interesting, and only takes 2 hours. It is also right near the Guthrie Theater, which I also highly recommend. I think they do tours, but you could also get tickets to a show.

The Science Museum is great, and there is a National Park station inside where you can learn about the Mississippi River.

The Walker Art Museum has a great sculpture garden. The art is very modern, and might miss the mark for a 14 yo. The MIA art museum is fabulous and has art from all sorts of eras, and is a favorite place of mine.

If you enjoy animals/zoos, I recommend the Minnesota Zoo over the Como Zoo.

minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in Minneapolis-St. Paul week of 3/28

Great ideas on the museums and theaters, which are the gems of the Twin Cities. The Macy's annual flower show starts this weekend, always a welcome sign of spring. And any patio that's open with a fireplace should be perfect for those cool spring evenings. The MN Zoo is really cool because of the Grizzly Coast with hibernating bears (actually interesting!) giant sea otters, and the sea horse exhibit is mesmerizing. The Como Zoo is great because it's so tropical inside and the sloth was quite active when I was there, a rare site indeed.

While I hate to send you out to the burbs, my biking buds and I enjoyed a great evening at Pinstripes in Edina, which also has great shopping. You can play indoor bocce, bowl, eat, live music on the weekends and enjoy the firepits outside... 1st AND 2nd floors! Very family friendly. Or... if you'd like something more nostalgic, Bryant Lake Bowl has the old-fashioned lanes with no manual scoring... something your daughter may not have seen before ;0)

Finally, many of the city and state parks are in full swing with the maple syrup tapping, great hikes and educational to boot.

If anything interests you, let us know and we'll elaborate.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in Minneapolis-St. Paul week of 3/28

Creason, THANKS for the reminder... it is that time of year for the Macy's Flower show. I'm not into flowers all that much, but that auditorium on the 8th floor is pimped out to the max.

…macys.com/campaign/…index.jsp

Consider hitting the flower show before or after the 12th Floor Skyroom.

It will get busy, as busloads from the burbs trek infor the show during the day.

Maybe do an early lunch and get there a little before 11 a.m. to the Skyroom.

8. Re: Things to do in Minneapolis-St. Paul week of 3/28

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 01:16