We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

40ish Ladies Getaway weekend

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mason City, Iowa
2 posts
Save Topic
40ish Ladies Getaway weekend

My girlfriend and I are wanting to come to Minneapolis for my birthday on the weekend April 29th thru the 1st of May, 2011. We plan on spending our days shopping. What we need to find out is where to go at night time. We want to hang out with men and women our age. Any suggestions on hotels and night time activities for two ladies? Thank you.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 40ish Ladies Getaway weekend

If it were me, i would target a hotel in downtown Minneapolis on or near Nicollet Mall. That gives you access to nightlife (the more mature of the two nightlife areas downtown, featuring upscale bars and lounges where you will be among people your age as well as some younger and some older) as well as access to shopping (downtown has pretty good shopping along Nicollet Mall) and access to the light rail, which connects Nicollet Mall with the Mall of America.

Also, as I assume you will have a car, you would be near I-94 which could take you to the outlet mall in Albertville.

I would look into the Marquette (traditional) and the W (modern, chic and has two bars you will want to try -- The Living Room and Prohibition. Both are in the Foshay Tower within the W hotel).

The downside of staying downtown is you pay to park. But it really is the best option IMO. More sightseeing and dining and nightlife than anywhere in the metro.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 40ish Ladies Getaway weekend

Sounds like this show at the Hennepin Stages theater is right up your alley. Consider getting tickets.

Girls Only -- Secret Comedy for Women

hennepintheatretrust.org/events/girls-only-s…

"Girls Only is an original comedy that celebrates the honor, truth, humor and silliness of being female. With a two-woman cast and audiences full of raucous, laughing ladies, the show is a unique examination of all things girly.

Born out of the earnest and sweetly ridiculous writings the two authors discovered in their girlhood diaries, the Girls Only mix of sketch comedy, improvisation, audience participation, and hilarious songs and videos will remind you that underneath, women all have very funny and very charming feminine similarities.

Warning: This show contains feminine subject matter including teenage diaries, breast feeding, tampons, shadow puppets, pantyhose, menstrual cycles, slumber parties, menopause and maxi pads."

----------------------

The W Hotel has great LobbyBar, as well as the Prohibition Bar up on the 27th Floor. $5 Martini HappyHours from 5-7 seven nights a week. Both hotel bars are run by the adjoining Manny's SteakHouse.

http://thelivingroom-prohibition.com/

http://mannyssteakhouse.com/

starwoodhotels.com/whotels/…

Friday or Saturday night, consider Nye's Polonaise in the Nord'East part of Minneapolis (just across the Mississippi River).

http://www.nyespolonaise.com/

For Sat or Sun brunch (10 - 1) consider Hell's Kitchen, in the basement of the MetroBuilding. It's called the "Sin & Soul" Weekend Brunch, and only go if you make reservations beforehand... it does get that crowded, even for breakfast.

hellskitcheninc.com/Salvation-Sundays.html

Hell's Kitchen does have live music on the weekend evenings too. Sat April 30th has Flamenca.

hellskitcheninc.com/entertainment-and-events…

minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 40ish Ladies Getaway weekend

Speaking from your perspective, it's always a riot to goto Nye's Polonaise Room, enjoy the fine food & cocktails, listen to the World's Most Dangerous Polka Band (although likely not the same without Barking Ruth) and people watch.

Bradstreet Crafthouse is an AMAZING gastro bar - seriously, their drinks are works of art and equally tasty. If it's slow there, head next door to the wonderfully reopened Keirans for Irish pub fair and music, possibly poetry reading.

The swanky bars and restaurants are more 20 & 30 somethings after hours, if you ask me. I'd opt for a restaurant that has live music later, less immature crowd.

minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 40ish Ladies Getaway weekend

Oh yeah, considering catching a meal and drinks at either The Walker or The Guthrie... world famous institutions to boot!

5. Re: 40ish Ladies Getaway weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 03:17