We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who Wants to Be a Millioniare question - St Anthony Falls

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
97 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Who Wants to Be a Millioniare question - St Anthony Falls

Hey Guys,

I will be traveling to downtown Minneapolis next month with a buddy of mine to see a game at the new Target Field. We are getting a hotel downtown to hang out for the weekend.

A couple weeks ago, on the game show "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" there was a question about what US city has the only waterfall on the Mississippi River - St Anthony Falls. The correct answer was "Minneapolis".

Exactly where is the the waterfall located? Is it within walking distance from downtown? I'd like to see it when I am there next month.

Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Who Wants to Be a Millioniare question - St Anthony Falls

It's easily accessible from downtown, right alongside the northern border of downtown. Here's a great website for it from the MN Historical Society, http://www.mnhs.org/places/safhb/index.shtml

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,704 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Who Wants to Be a Millioniare question - St Anthony Falls

The waterfall is viewable from the downtown riverfront, so yeah it's walkable. It is not the same as it was 200 years ago before it was harnessed to power lumber saws and then flour mills. A collapse in the shelf the water ran over created a more man-made looking waterfall. But it still is the only naturally occurring waterfall on the Ol Miss.

And it still is a spectacular thing to see, particularly from the Guthrie overlook (Endless Bridge), the overloook in the Mill City Museum or the Stone Arch Bridge -- better yet, all 3!

Lots of history attached to the falls. I suggest you walk the riverfront circuit to read up the signs or even visit the museum. The waterfall is why Minneapolis exists.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,943 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Who Wants to Be a Millioniare question - St Anthony Falls

Hit us up when you get here and we can show you WaterPower Park, the StoneArch Bridge with primo views of the falls and the locks & dam, and Nicollet Island.

Plan on a Fri or Sat night at Nyes, and one night at Psycho Suzis on the Mississippi

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Who Wants to Be a Millioniare question - St Anthony Falls

use gmaps to locate it

Plymouth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
538 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Who Wants to Be a Millioniare question - St Anthony Falls

I have to say that to the un-geologically trained eye, it looks an awful lot more like a dam than a falls.

And to really feel it, you have to follow the trail from the north side of the river (across from downtown) , right out to the edge of the falls. If I'm reading mapquest correctly, it starts right across Main street from Tuggs Tavern.

Edited: 15 May 2011, 03:40
Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,943 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Who Wants to Be a Millioniare question - St Anthony Falls

Technically you're right

But after a good rain it's got the look and feel of a falls

I think it got it's name back when it was a falls

Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Who Wants to Be a Millioniare question - St Anthony Falls

I had a quick look at Wikipedia which stated that Father Louis Hennepin named it Falls of St. Anthony (after his patron saint) in 1680.

8. Re: Who Wants to Be a Millioniare question - St Anthony Falls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2012, 09:23