We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good hotel located between TCF Bank Stad. & Target Field?

ny
Level Contributor
637 posts
201 reviews
Save Topic
Good hotel located between TCF Bank Stad. & Target Field?

Hi! I am in the pre-planning stage for a weekend trip to Minneapolis. We have two events, back to back - one in TCF Bank Stadium, one the next day in Target Field. What would be a decent hotel near these two locations? Traveling with two people in total, usually like to stay at Hilton/Marriott chains because of the rewards programs. Thanks in advance for the help!

Mentioned in this post
Minneapolis
Minneapolis
Minnesota
TCF Bank Stadium
TCF Bank Stadium
291 Reviews
Minneapolis, MN
Target Field
Target Field
2,672 Reviews
Minneapolis, MN
ny
Level Contributor
637 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good hotel located between TCF Bank Stad. & Target Field?

To add a little detail: we are possibly going to the U2 concert at the Bank Stadium, a Minn Twins game at Target Field, and would like to visit the Mall of America while we are there. Maybe this helps!

Mentioned in this post
Target Field
Target Field
2,672 Reviews
Minneapolis, MN
Mall of America
Mall of America
4,909 Reviews
Bloomington, MN
Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,297 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good hotel located between TCF Bank Stad. & Target Field?

If you stay downtown, you can walk to Target Field, light rail to Mall, and quick taxi to TFC.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good hotel located between TCF Bank Stad. & Target Field?

There are a good number of hotels to explore that would seem to work well for you - starting from the Bank and moving west to Target Field.

Holiday Inn Metrodome is about 1 mile from TCF Bank and overall quite pleasant. Not the closest hotel to TCF stadium (which is 2 blocks from TCF) but a little closer to downtown area. Also, the Light Rail Train to get into the core of downtown and Target Field is closer than the alternative. Downside is it's not Marriott or Hilton that you requested and you would be slightly off of the core of downtown (but not terribly so, on edge of downtown). Hotel offers shuttle to the TCF Bank Stadium and Metrodome Light Rail station for core downtown or MSP/Mall of America.

The Depot Minneapolis is a Marriott Renaissance property and also nice. You're further from TCF Bank, but more centrally located in the downtown area. You could walk to Target Field and the Light Rail Train, but realistically not within walking distance of TCF Bank. Not sure about their shuttle situation.

The Hotel Minneapolis is part of Marriott's "Autograph" collection. Basically on the Light Rail Train line, walkable to Target Field, but more difficult to get to TCF Bank Stadium unless you cab it/drive it.

On the Hilton side, you might check out The Marquette Hotel. It is Hilton affliated and is listed on their website. Very centrally located in downtown Minneapolis for all downtown's offerings (it's actually part of IDS Tower, tallest building in Minnesota - and I realize that will still pale in comparison to NYC). Walk to Target Field and Light Rail, but again have to cab/drive to TCF Bank Stadium.

Other Hilton properties are all fine properties but not located as conveniently as the above (at least for your stated purposes). Unless there was some great deal or other compelling reason, I'd look to Marquette if you want Hilton properties.

Edited: 03 July 2011, 16:40
Mentioned in this post
Target Field
Target Field
2,672 Reviews
Minneapolis, MN
TCF Bank Stadium
TCF Bank Stadium
291 Reviews
Minneapolis, MN
Mall of America
Mall of America
4,909 Reviews
Bloomington, MN
Minneapolis
Minneapolis
Minnesota
The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection
The Hotel Minneapolis...
826 Reviews
Minneapolis, MN
Marquette
Marquette
Upper Peninsula, MI
Minnesota
Minnesota
United States
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good hotel located between TCF Bank Stad. & Target Field?

I would not worry about finding a hotel equidistant from both TCF Bank Stadium and Target Field. I would find a hotel close to Target Field (walking distance) so you're walking distance to at least one of your venues and then have access to the light rail to take you to your other destination: Mall of America.

If you stay downtown Minneapolis at one of the hotels along the more northerly end of Nicollet Mall you can walk to the Twins game and then hop the light rail to the mall. And a taxi to TCF Bank would not be much at all -- maybe $12.

That is what I would do -- and sounds like DowntownMpls and wouldbeworldtraveler would do the same.

wouldbeworldtraveler has very good insight into hotels and mentioned the Marquette already. That is my favorite hotel downtown but not the only good one. The light rail runs along 5th Street downtown so look into a hotel within a 3- or 4-block radius of that.

Staying downtown also gives you better access to nightlife (if that is something you seek) and restaurants. Nice area to walk around and pop in at a streetside lunch spot or bar.

Edited: 03 July 2011, 18:48
Mentioned in this post
TCF Bank Stadium
TCF Bank Stadium
291 Reviews
Minneapolis, MN
Target Field
Target Field
2,672 Reviews
Minneapolis, MN
Mall of America
Mall of America
4,909 Reviews
Bloomington, MN
Minneapolis
Minneapolis
Minnesota
Nicollet Mall
Nicollet Mall
269 Reviews
Minneapolis, MN
Marquette
Marquette
Upper Peninsula, MI
ny
Level Contributor
637 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good hotel located between TCF Bank Stad. & Target Field?

Thank you so much! I'm thinking of booking in the same area (didn't want to spend over $300 for the Marquette or the Autograph Marriott) at the Residence Inn Marriott or Marriott Minn Downtown. They seem close enough! We can take the Light Rail from the airport and lug our carryons to the hotel, then visit the MOA by rail, also get back to the airport. What are my options for getting to/from the TCF Bank Stadium on the night of the U2 concert? Is there any public transportation? I'm nervous about relying on a cab that night.

Mentioned in this post
Marquette
Marquette
Upper Peninsula, MI
TCF Bank Stadium
TCF Bank Stadium
291 Reviews
Minneapolis, MN
ny
Level Contributor
637 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good hotel located between TCF Bank Stad. & Target Field?

I found a really good deal at the Westin Downtown (#1 on TA) for $127 a night. is this too good to be true? Any opinions on the Westin?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good hotel located between TCF Bank Stad. & Target Field?

The #16 bus would be your option to consider from downtown and to campus/TCF (metrotransit.org/Schedules/WebSchedules.aspx…). Fairly frequent service, about every 10-20 minutes. About a 20 minute ride from 4th and Nicollet downtown to University Avenue and Oak Street (TCF). Right now, the light rail train does not run directly to TCF - that is an up and coming event and you will see all sorts of construction on campus to that effect. In other words, if taxis are not an option, there will be a bus option for you to consider.

On the Westin, what I've heard and what little I've seen is that it's a fine hotel and still well located in downtown. My guess is the lower rate is because it's on a weekend. Downtown hotels are usually pretty quiet on weekend nights. If you're okay with Starwood, I don't see a reason to not take the deal.

8. Re: Good hotel located between TCF Bank Stad. & Target Field?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 14:17