We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connections in Minneapolis

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
2,011 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Connections in Minneapolis

I am trying to make reservations for my twenty-something daughter to get from Land O'Lakes WI to Phoenix at Thanksgiving. One possibility is flying from Central Wisconsin airport thru Minneapolis but ALL of the itineraries have less than an hour between flights in Minneapolis. Is this enough time to get from the commuter flight to a regular flight?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
386 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connections in Minneapolis

If both flights are in terminal one, or both are in terminal two, she should have sufficient time, otherwise not.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
574 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connections in Minneapolis

Based on a recent thread with a similar question the answer will be "it depends upon whom you ask." :)

I would caution if the commuter flight gates at Concourse A or B (in Terminal A) it will be more difficult if the connection gate is located in Concourse G, F, & E, it's a long walk and you'd want to make sure you get to the gate before grabbing a bite to eat. Easy to do if you have an hour but not a lot of time to dawdle.

Edited: 01 August 2011, 15:44
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,657 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connections in Minneapolis

At risk of having someone insult me again, I will post what I know and my opinion.

I don't believe the concern raised in the first post is at issue here as commuter flights connect through Concourses A and B in the main terminal.

I would also as who the carrier is, and if the carrier is the same for the WI-to-MSP flight as the MSP-to-Phoenix flight. Having the same carrier serving both flights helps immensely to get you connected, IMO.

It is a tight connection. As I said in the thread mentioned by sully, it is my belief that getting from arrival gate to departure gate is reasonable in that time frame, especially with how quickly the de-planing process is off a commuter flight.

The tricky part (and where I have had some bad experiences) is the checked bags making the connection because those are out of your hands. But my belief is that this is a better situation (more time and fewer people and bags to bog down the process if your first leg is commuter) than the situation mentioned in the other thread and I think it is sufficient time.

I don't see many other options for you anyway if all itineraries are turning up with an hour. The traveler from the other thread likely had many more, so I was comfortable suggesting he look into other connections if the price wasn;t much different

Edited: 01 August 2011, 16:40
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
1,033 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connections in Minneapolis

Thanksgiving is a zoo at most major airports. If all goes well it should be enough time. If the weather or connection messes things up the worst case scenario is getting on a later flight. I'm sure they have more then one flight to Phoenix. My advice would be to fly earlier rather then later in the day incase the connection is missed she can get put onto another flight later that day.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,874 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connections in Minneapolis

At the risk of overlooking the "sarcasm" and tryng to be helpful, since I connect through MSP several times a year, I did a search for Wednesday, November 23 (you said Thanksgiving). I assumed Delta and found 3 departures from CWA (7:20am, 12:30pm, and 3:15pm). The middle option looks like a Saab340 today , but all are showing CRJ's in November. This could be positive, since that means she may avoid the A/B gates which is where the Saab's park. Even on a good day, this can be a haul.

To confirm your options, I see a 35 min and a 40 min connection. But, there are 5 reasonably spread out flights from MSP-PHX, so there are later connections and options in case you want to grab one now (before you confirm and book) or in the event that you book a tight connection and she misses it.

Further, my comments would not be regarding your checked bag, but any carry-on bags she brings that would not fit into an overhead of a smaller jet. If for some reason you had to "gate check" a bag, this could seriously delay her ability to get from one plane to another, since these are usually loaded and unloaded separately on a cart - and waiting will take longer. So, make sure all her carryons fit in the overhead or under the seat in front of her.

Other than that, have her confirm all gates before she leaves CWA, when she arrives at MSP, and don't dawdle (as noted). In fact, you can sign up for text alerts at www.delta.com , so they text you in advance this information or if something is delayed. Good Luck.

Edited: 01 August 2011, 17:44
Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
2,011 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connections in Minneapolis

Thanks to everyone for your time. I'm sure it will be helpful to others.

We ended up booking RHI-DEN-PHX on Frontier because the two hour plus drive to CWA wasn't an option after all.

7. Re: Connections in Minneapolis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 14:17