We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Mall of America, where can I go?

Canada
Level Contributor
83 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
From Mall of America, where can I go?

My family will visit Minneapolis next week. Have a few questions and grateful if you can give me some advice.

1). My wife picked Westin Hotel in Edina (not sure why she didn't pick Bloomington), is Edina far away from Mall of America?

2). We planned to spend 3 days in MOA, and on the 4th day, the ladies will need the car and planned to drop us (me, my brother, and possibly a 5-year-old kid) off at MOA again (and pick us up in 2-3 hours). From Mall of America, where can I go without a car? Is there anywhere the Light Rail can take us to (like downtown, or another shopping mall)?

3). The last day, which is a Sunday, we may want to drive to Albertville Premium Outlets in the morning. Is there any food court in the outlet to grab some lunch?

Thank you in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Edina
Edina
Minnesota
Bloomington
Bloomington
Minnesota
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Mall of America, where can I go?

Edina is a bordering city of Bloomington, though clear on the other side of Bloomington. It would be about 10 minutes drive. I-494 almost entire way.

If other malls interest you, Southdale mall is across the street. The first indoor shopping mall. Also, the Galleria (also next door) has some nice stores that are considered a bit more upscale than what you would find at a standard mall.

From the MOA, the light rail will take you downtown. I would highly suggest you take it downtown to see Nicollet Mall (not a mall as in a shopping mall but a pedestrian friendly street lined with shops and restaurants). Riverfront would be the most interesting thing to see, I would think. Head down there and take a stroll across the famous Stone Arch Bridge to St. Anthony Main. Grab a bite or a beer at Pracna on Main. Pretty area.

The area is lined with historical plaques to give you a little bakcground on how the city was settled and its first (lumber) and second (flour milling) industries. If you want to learn more you could visit Mill City Museum.

Plenty of places to eat in Albertville outlet complex. Huge place.

Mentioned in this post
Edina
Edina
Minnesota
Bloomington
Bloomington
Minnesota
Nicollet Mall
Nicollet Mall
266 Reviews
Minneapolis, MN
Stone Arch Bridge
Stone Arch Bridge
614 Reviews
Minneapolis, MN
Mill City Museum
Mill City Museum
1,270 Reviews
Minneapolis, MN
Albertville
Albertville
Minnesota
Canada
Level Contributor
83 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Mall of America, where can I go?

Thanks mntoathens!

If you don't mind, I want to ask a little more detail about visiting the Nicollet Mall. Do I take the train (light rail) from MOA Transit Center (19) straight to Nicollet Mall Station (3) as shown in

metrotransit.org/Schedules/WebSchedules.aspx…

Mentioned in this post
Nicollet Mall
Nicollet Mall
266 Reviews
Minneapolis, MN
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Mall of America, where can I go?

Yes, get on the train at the MOA (make sure you buy your ticket before you board, from the vending machine on the platform. The trip downtown will be 35-40 minutes. You exit Nicollet Mall station and then from the direction the train was heading you turn left and head down Nicollet Mall.

Mentioned in this post
Nicollet Mall
Nicollet Mall
266 Reviews
Minneapolis, MN
Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Mall of America, where can I go?

Somehow it just seems like you're going out of your way to head over to the MOA, and then northbound to downtown. I'd be tempted to get dropped at an Edina location where you could catch a bus downtown, and then you could take a train to MOA afterwards. One could also stop at Minnehaha Park right by a train station if you want to continue taking a break from shopping. There's been a lot of recent posts on the park if you do a search on this forum

Mentioned in this post
Edina
Edina
Minnesota
Minnehaha Park
Minnehaha Park
2,006 Reviews
Minneapolis, MN
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Mall of America, where can I go?

I can see Britphile's point about just catching a bus in Edina (and Southdale at least used to be a big stopping point for a number of lines), though my concern is the time you'll spend taking a bus as it winds it's way through the city. It's not a bad ride, just a question of how much time you'll spend. Granted, you'll spend time getting to MOA to then catch the train to downtown, so maybe a "6 of one, 1/2 dozen of another" scenario.

You might want to further check out www.metrotransit.org to obtain information on the Light Rail or buses from Edina/Southdale area.

Be mindful you'll likely spend about 45 minutes each way in transit by bus or train. If you only have 2-3 hours, you might end up spending most of your time on a bus or train - though maybe your 5-year old would get a kick out of it and it is generally a pleasant ride. I will say downtown is a neat area to visit, however - especially if you happen to have time to walk over to Target Field (IMHO). If the Twins aren't playing you obviously won't be able to get fully into the park (and you'd need a ticket anyway) but the area around is fun. If you wanted to do that, stay on the train to Target Field stop - it's the last stop for the line. You could then walk back towards Nicollet Mall and still catch the train back when ready to head back to MOA.

I personally like the Minnehaha Park option if the weather is nice. It's a great park area to visit and less time on a train. There's also a restaurant (I think called Sea Salt, other Minneapolis Forum posters help me out?) for a snack near the Minnehaha Park stop.

Mentioned in this post
Edina
Edina
Minnesota
Target Field
Target Field
2,638 Reviews
Minneapolis, MN
Nicollet Mall
Nicollet Mall
266 Reviews
Minneapolis, MN
Minnehaha Park
Minnehaha Park
2,006 Reviews
Minneapolis, MN
Minneapolis MN
Level Contributor
579 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Mall of America, where can I go?

Depending on what time of day you are going, you could get an express bus downtown (route 578 or 579) and back. Otherwise, the 6 bus runs all day from Southdale to downtown. It's one of the busier routes, so you won't be waiting more than 10-15 minutes for the next one to come by,

It's about a 40 minute ride to downtown, but it's a decent ride that will take you through the Linden Hills and Uptown neighborhoods, both of which have lots of shops and restaurants, as well as going right by Lake Calhoun, which is nice to take a walk around if the weather is good.

If you take the 6 north a few stops from downtown, you could also check out the Northeast ("Nordeast") neighborhood, which has a good number of notable shops and restaurants, including the famous Nye's Polonaise Room.

Also there is a bus route (515) that runs from Southdale to the MOA. It's about a 20 minute trip. Like the 6, the 515 runs often so you won't have to wait too long to catch a bus and then you won't have to deal with parking and traffic around the MOA, which can be a hassle at times.

As for Albertville, there is no food court per se (it's a huge strip-type mall) but there are a few fast food places like Burger King and Culver's on site or close by. There is a themed restaurant called Space Aliens near the outlet mall that the 5 year old will probably get a kick out of.

http://www.spacealiens.com/

Edited: 04 August 2011, 04:50
Mentioned in this post
Uptown
Uptown
129 Reviews
Minneapolis, MN
Lake Calhoun
Lake Calhoun
561 Reviews
Minneapolis, MN
Albertville
Albertville
Minnesota
Culver's
Culver's
10 Reviews
Minneapolis, MN
Canada
Level Contributor
83 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Mall of America, where can I go?

Thank you for all the suggestions. Very much appreciated.

My wife and other ladies wanted to "get rid of" us around noon, but wanted us back to meet them by 4pm. So I have 4-5 hours to spare.

Thanks again for all the tips on public transportation. Even in Toronto, I rarely take a bus or a train so it took a bit of time for me to figure out where to get on and off :P

Space Aliens is cool - looks like the pizza planet (?) restaurant in Toy Story :)

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Marshall, Minnesota
Level Contributor
256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Mall of America, where can I go?

The light rail connects the mall to downtown Minneapolis. If the Twins are in town, you can take the light rail, right to Target Field. The ball park is beautiful and you will have a lot of fun.

Mentioned in this post
Target Field
Target Field
2,638 Reviews
Minneapolis, MN
9. Re: From Mall of America, where can I go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2011, 11:58
10. Re: From Mall of America, where can I go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 03:19