We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to live?

az
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Where to live?

Hello: 25 years ago we moved away from the St. Paul area where we raised our kids and have resided in AZ for all those years. Times and needs have changed, we are ready to reitre, and have decided to move back to the Twin Cities. If we get sick of the cold we can always travel to warmer climates. Here is our question: where should we be looking for a single family home? We really don't want a suburb location at our ages and don't want a condo. One friend suggested the Linden Hills area in Mpls near the lakes. Any suggestions for places to look for a home would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Saint Paul
Saint Paul
Minnesota
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to live?

I certainly wouldn't think you'd go wrong choosing a single family home in Linden Hills. Perhaps the only downside is it's a relatively expensive area of Minneapolis to live in. However, that's no doubt due to its popularity among those looking for the kind of neighborhood LH is. As mentioned, near lakes for enjoyment, local businesses, safe and relatively quiet neighborhoods. Houses also tend to have a sense of community.

If you were not retired, I would mention the neighborhood is not the absolute easiest to access freeways so possible work commute problems. However, doesn't seem to be a problem if you're retired and just wanting to find a place to call home.

Linden Hills does have the advantage of being relatively close to downtown, and popular suburbs of Edina and St. Louis Park. Both will have shopping of all general flavors.

LH is probably not the only place to suggest, but if you can find the right house at the right price for you, I'd suggest keeping it on the short list.

Mentioned in this post
Minneapolis
Minneapolis
Minnesota
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,986 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to live?

I agree with both of your own suggestions, too (Linden Hills and Lakes). There are also some areas in St. Paul that may work, if you're open to that (ie. Como Park, where I've lived). But, fair warning that whenever I see posts about relocation, they are usually reported and pulled quickly, since TripAdvisor is a travel forum. My advice is to hop over to some real estate and neighborhood sites.

Mentioned in this post
Saint Paul
Saint Paul
Minnesota