We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

minnesota to phoenix

International...
8 posts
Save Topic
minnesota to phoenix

what is the best way to go from minnesota to phoneix. We will be traveling the end of Jan. and would like to avoid the mountains if possible. Will be pulling a 40' 5 wheel trailer. Any suggestions

Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: minnesota to phoenix

I suggest taking I35 south (MN, IA, MO, KS) into Oklahoma, and then west on I40 (TX, NM) into Flagstaff, AZ. Then one takes I17 from Flagstaff to Phoenix. I love that drive from Flagstaff to Phoenix as you go from an alpine area (but you don't have to drive through mountains there) through hills and canyons until you're finally in the desert region. I40 also has a lot of old Route 66 stuff nearby.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
574 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: minnesota to phoenix

I would suggest taking Rte. 89A from Flagstaff to Sedona as part of your trip to Phoenix - it's a wonderful drive.

International...
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: minnesota to phoenix

We will do that but my concern is the safes since be will be pulling a trailer behind the 5th wheel our total lenth is about 70'

International...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: minnesota to phoenix

Still looking for

a safe way to the Phoenix area without having to go thru mountains if at all possible. Will be pulling a 5th wheel trailer w/ a enclosed motorcycle trailer total lg. is 70'

Minnesota
Level Contributor
445 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: minnesota to phoenix

Donna - We have done this drive with a van as suggested above, but not with our 5th wheel. I'd suggest going to Trailerlife.com and asking this question on their forums. You'll get lots of good advice from other RVer's.

International...
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: minnesota to phoenix

thanks

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
574 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: minnesota to phoenix

I missed the trailer part....you'd probably be better doing my suggested Sedona route as a day trip from Pheonix.

International...
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: minnesota to phoenix

will do planning 5 weeks

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,424 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: minnesota to phoenix

Just FYI and to reiterate - do NOT take 89A from Flag to Sedona with a long trailer! I'm pretty sure your length is over the limit for taking that particular road, and regardless, you literally wouldn't be able to make those switchbacks coming down into Oak Creek Canyon.

International...
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: minnesota to phoenix

was thinking of taking 17 from flagstaff to phoenix. what do you think about pulling down this hwy.