We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Target Field and MOA - where to stay?

columbus, ohio
Level Contributor
26 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Target Field and MOA - where to stay?

We are planning a trip (not until August) to Minneapolis to take in a Twins game and enjoy the MOA!!! Where would you recommend staying? Many thanks for your advice!

Mentioned in this post
Minneapolis
Minneapolis
Minnesota
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Target Field and MOA - where to stay?

Well, it depends on whether you are the type of people who would have more fun downtown or in a more suburban setting. I'm someone who would choose the downtown location every time. I think it's a more vibrant and fun area with more to do and real restaurant options. However, hotels are more expensive (tho not terribly) and you don't get free parking at all of them like you would at the suburban hotels.

The suburban hotel area in Bloomington near the MOA (make sure you know that Bloomington has hotels in the west side of town that you do NOT want). So that gives you convenient access to the MOA and you can ride the train downtown for cheap (safe and easy).

But the restaurant options and things to do in that area outside of the mall are nonexistent. If it's me, I'd stay downtown at a hotel on or near Nicollet Mall within a 3-block walk to a light rail station so I'm downtown and can take in all that area has to offer and then use the train to connect to the mall. Let us know your budget and we can help more.

Mentioned in this post
Nicollet Mall
Nicollet Mall
266 Reviews
Minneapolis, MN
Bloomington
Bloomington
Minnesota
columbus, ohio
Level Contributor
26 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Target Field and MOA - where to stay?

We are trying to keep prices "reasonable" as we are making a week long trek visiting 4 different baseball stadiums and other sites along the way!!! I think the idea of staying downtown will work best for us - considering we will be spending many hours in the car, being able to get out and WALK to eat/shop/explore is a the BEST option!

I assume that the "light rail" system will travel to Target Field and MOA???

We also read your input on where to sit when visiting Target Field and are searching for tickets based on your recommendations! Thanks so much for your insight!

Mentioned in this post
Target Field
Target Field
2,638 Reviews
Minneapolis, MN
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Target Field and MOA - where to stay?

Glad to help!

Just don't worry if tickets are not available in those preferred areas I listed (where by the way the ticket prices are a bit higher to fit the budget of the person who created that thread who mentioned he might be OK spending a bit more on tickets). Target Field has great sightlines from almost all areas. I really like almost all areas -- even the upper area. And keep in mind that most people spend half their time wandering around to see all the sights in the ballpark on their first visit (food stand, beverage stand, watching the game from different perspectives, bars etc) so the location of their seat isn't even all that critical.

As for the light rail. It runs from the MOA through the airport and into downtown. So you could stay downtown and take it to the MOA (about 40-45 minutes ride) but if you're staying downtown, you'll likely want to just walk to the ballpark. The trains coming into downtown likely will be filled to capacity by that point --p acked with baseball fans.

I do like your plan to stay downtown. It's just such a bland area to stay near the mall. You can walk to restaurants if you stay downtown. And the ballpark. Or take a cheap taxi to anything more than 6-7 blocks.

If you have any history lovers they might like to see the Mill District and the riverfront, the area that made Minneapolis a world leader in food production and was responsible for the area being home to so many Fortune 100/500 companies. Most directly General Mills and Pillsbury (now part of Gen Mills).

It's a pretty area to stroll (Stone Arch Bridge) even if you don't care about history much!

Mentioned in this post
Target Field
Target Field
2,638 Reviews
Minneapolis, MN
Stone Arch Bridge
Stone Arch Bridge
614 Reviews
Minneapolis, MN
Minneapolis
Minneapolis
Minnesota
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Target Field and MOA - where to stay?

Your trip sounds like one of a few dream trips I would take given the right time and money (though I have other ones I do make...!

MN's advice is pretty good, and -though downtown is generally more expensive for hotels- it is not uniformly so. Especially if you will stay over a weekend you can find a deal in downtown. Downtown hotels tend to be a bit of ghost towns on the weekend so often drop rates to put heads in beds. By the way, though MN probably meant this, let me add - ALL hotels downtown charge for parking one way or another. I would just plan on adding around $15-20/night to any rate you get for a downtown hotel to cover parking (but, if you'll spend most of your time downtown could be worth it instead of driving and then still have to find parking or take time on the train.)

If you want to check out more info on the Light Rail Train, go to www.metrotransit.org/light-rail.aspx.

columbus, ohio
Level Contributor
26 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Target Field and MOA - where to stay?

Thank you so much for the information!!! We have purchased our Twins tickets and are searching for the "perfect" downtown hotel!!!

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,293 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Target Field and MOA - where to stay?

There are two Residence Inns downtown with breakfasts included and kitchens in suites.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Target Field and MOA - where to stay?

We try to get to Minneapolis a couple times a year and always stay downtown, usually at the Holiday Inn Express Downtown Minneapolis. Nice clean hotel, reasonable rates, free hot breakfast, great location. In fact we're heading there this weekend to catch a basketball game and a couple baseball games.

Mentioned in this post
Minneapolis
Minneapolis
Minnesota
8. Re: Target Field and MOA - where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 16:16