We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Amtrak station

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
38 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling to Amtrak station

Could anyone give us an estimate of how long we should allow for a cab ride from our hotel near the Mall of America to the Amtrak station?

Our train is at 7.50am, but the 2 people we've spoken to so far have given us wildly different answers!

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
574 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Amtrak station

I would allow for 30 minutes if it's a weekday just to be safe. I live fairly close to the station and it takes me ~20 minutes or so to get to the mall.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
38 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Amtrak station

Thanks. Someone earlier told us that we should allow 1.5 hours!

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Amtrak station

Paranoid me would want to get there by 7:15 for 7:50 departure

Morning traffic on 35W will be busy but not clogged

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,617 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Amtrak station

I'd guess 30 minutes. Google says it's a 10 mile journey. I would direct the cab to proceed on Hwy 5 and cut north on Cleveland or Snelling. City traffic, so not as clogged as a major artery/highway.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,710 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to Amtrak station

I agree with the others on 30 minutes given how early you would be traveling the highways to get there. If it was a later departure time I would add some time because the traffic will be worse.

And DowntownMpls, I am paranoid too (and that's the time I would get there too because of it). I do the same thing. Because something unexpected always happens to me and I don't like stress

Edited: 31 July 2012, 16:07
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
574 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to Amtrak station

I agree with bk t1 - Definitely don't go 35W.

My route home from the MOM (I live near Snelling & University Ave):

- 494 east to Hwy 5 east (takes you in front of the airport) to the Edgecumbe-Shepard Rd - first exit after you cross the Mississippi.

- On the exit follow the split to the left toward Edcumbe.

- about half way up the hill Fairview will continue straight and Edcumbe will branch to the right. Follow Fairview

- Stay on Fairview north until University Ave (1st light after you go under I94)

- go west on University. It will be about 1/2 mile to Transfer road - go north to the station.

Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling to Amtrak station

I agree also with driving through St. Paul, rather than going out of your way on 35W during rush hour traffic. You'll save on your cab fare also.

Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling to Amtrak station

For myself, I like a little leeway time so I would probably arrange for the cab to pick me up around 6:45. Is that the Empire Builder you're catching? It stops in St. Paul for around 45-50 minutes so one could have a little time to get situated.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,710 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling to Amtrak station

To echo what others said, you wil save on cab fare and time if you instruct your cab driver to take the Hwy 5-Edgecumbe-fairview route as sully outlined above. However, the driver will almost certailny not go that route unless you instruct him to do so. He'll go 35W -- guaranteed. Bigger fare in it for him and less thinking involved. So make sure you write down the basic directions posted above and tell your cab driver.

Ede, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
8 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling to Amtrak station

Hi just reading your questions on Amtrak. How much is cabfare from the station to Best Western Hotel at the Mall for two people? Did the cab work for you? My sister and I will be doing the same thing in September.

Get answers to your questions about Minneapolis