We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Minneapolis to Black Hills in 2 days

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Minneapolis to Black Hills in 2 days

Hi,

We are 4 adults visiting black hills.

I want an idea/itinerary on thigs to do and how much we can do in 2 days.

We are starting on friday at 4:00pm from minneapolis and are planning to pick a few friends from Sioux falls, SD.

We plan to reach beaverlake campground on friday night 2:00am.

So we will have full day saturday (Day starts at 9:00am for us) and sunday till 4:00pm.

Please suggest the places and order in which we should cover them.

Thanks much,

R

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Minneapolis to Black Hills in 2 days

Crazy

(but I'm obviously older)

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
35 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Minneapolis to Black Hills in 2 days

It's been a number of years since I've been out there, however I would recommend Custer State Park for the wildlife viewing and the drive along the Peter Norbeck Scenic Highway, Jewel Cave or Wind Cave Park and the Crazy Horse and/or Mount Rushmore monuments.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
538 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Minneapolis to Black Hills in 2 days

I agree with BOTH previous posters. Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse are truly unique places (you could argue for Stone Mountain Georgia, but it is not in the same cllass as these). We also loved Custer State Park because we got close enough to the bison to smell them, but you cna duplicate that experience in other places. Don't know about the caves.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
574 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Minneapolis to Black Hills in 2 days

I would suggest reserving if you want to take a cave tour, we didn't make one at Jewel about 5 years ago and got shut out....

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
712 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Minneapolis to Black Hills in 2 days

There is a South Dakota forum that has more information as well. I just went a few weeks ago and your time will be short so you will certainly have to prioritize. Also 2 websites, travelsd.com and blackhillsbadlands.com

Wildlife Loop in Custer State Park in the AM to see buffalo/bison, etc. We added Mt Coolidge lookout to the end of the loop for the view then on to Iron Mountain Rd to do tunnels and pigtail bridges that go towards Mt Rushmore in Keystone. Spent afternoon at Mt Rushmore, walked the trail, did the movie and exhibit then went to Rapid City for a Chuckwagon cowboy dinner show at Fort Hays which was great.

Next Day visit Crazy Horse in AM OR Jewel Cave and then on to Needles Hwy in Custer State Park and stop for walk around Sylvan Lake which includes some rocky areas but was beautiful.

Peter Norbeck scenic byway includes Needles Hwy and Iron Mountain Rd. FYI

This will help see the area but not enough time for all of the sites so just depends on what you want to see and do. The Badlands National Park is a must see as well as its so different but not sure how to fit it in with your time unless you are not interested in Crazy Horse or Mt Rushmore itself? Each of the face monuments have evening light shows as well.

6. Re: Minneapolis to Black Hills in 2 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 23:17