We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Central location to stay going to Twins game & State fair

Northern Minnesota
Level Contributor
38 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Central location to stay going to Twins game & State fair

We are planning on going to the cities late August, and we were wondering, where might be the most central location to find a hotel, we are planning on going to Toby Keith's in St. Louis Park one night, and then State Fair the next day, and taking in a Twins game that same night. Also, are there any hotels within walking distance to catch the light rail to the game? Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
778 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Central location to stay going to Twins game & State fair

St Louis Park has some hotels and is only a few minutes drive from downtown where the field is. I would suggest the Springhills Suites as nearby to the restaurant I believe? The prices might be better compared to downtown as well. The state fair used to have bus routes at different locations to pick up, including mall parking lots when I lived there many years ago. The lightrail is downtown and towards the airport/mall of America so a bit farther from the St Louis Park area you mentioned. Lots of hotel choices and packages at twincitieshoteldeals.com

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Central location to stay going to Twins game & State fair

I wouldn't stay in SLP if you are gong to Toby Keith's just one night. It takes you 25 minutes farther away from the fair and the game.

I would stay downtown near Nicollet Mall, from which you can walk to Target field AND hop a bus to the fairgrounds. Whether you have a car or not, you will want to take a bus to the fair IMO.

Plus, staying downtown opens up countless opportunities for food, drink and sight-seeing

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Central location to stay going to Twins game & State fair

Don't let the fair affect where you stay. The easiest and best way to get to the fair is to take the bus, and there are many, many express buses.

mnstatefair.org/general_info/…reg_bus.html

Northern Minnesota
Level Contributor
38 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Central location to stay going to Twins game & State fair

Thanks to you all for the info. I think I will look into a downtown MPLS hotel.

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
778 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Central location to stay going to Twins game & State fair

I would check twincitieshoteldeals.com for more options and packages for the game and the fair. I like the Depot property downtown which is a historic property and has a waterpark if you have kids with you.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,927 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Central location to stay going to Twins game & State fair

if you have kids, there's the TownePlace Suites by Marriott tucked near the Twins Field - with outdoor pool - unheard of downtown.

just adults - try the W Hotel, or Graves, or Chambers - they all fun.

even the Aloft hotel on Washington is fun for lower price

or Hilton Garden Inn.

all of the above are near light rail, and a quick taxi to Toby Keiths.

for State Fair, take the direct bus that picks up from Nicollet Mall

you won't get lost, and it's the EASIEST way to beat traffic and avoid parking

Northern Minnesota
Level Contributor
38 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Central location to stay going to Twins game & State fair

Yeah just 4 adults, but thanks Downtown Minn, for all the hotel and transportation suggestions. That's why I love this site, people are so helpful. Thanks again!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Central location to stay going to Twins game & State fair

I agree St. Louis Park - while convenient for Keith's is the opposite of convenient for your other locations (fair and Target Field). The bus suggestion is also a worthwhile one to consider.

You might consider campus locations such as Holiday Inn Metrodome and University Hotel Minneapolis. Convenient enough to the Fair and downtown/Light Rail Train, and not terribly fair from the freeway for access to freeways and SLP for Keith's.

Do keep in mind downtown hotels and campus hotels will have a charge for parking, perhaps a slight advantage to the SLP hotels (though probably doesn't outweigh the cost and inconvenience of being in SLP - for your purposes).

9. Re: Central location to stay going to Twins game & State fair

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 04:15