We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Business Hours in October.

Palm Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Topic
Business Hours in October.

We are traveling to MSP area in late October. We have been in many Midwestern Cities over the years. The business hours and Open days varies widely from place to place.

We will be there Friday afternoon until Tuesday Am.

What days are best to visit Stillwater?

Best days to drive and visit the Red Wing and Winona areas?

I believe the Vikings play a home on the Sunday we are there. We are NOT going. Any inputs about what the downtown area is like on those days.

Thanks again

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
574 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Business Hours in October.

When you say business hours do you mean stores downtown? Some clarification would be very helpful.

DT will be busier during a home game on Sundays, especially if you're planning to ride the Light Rail before/after the game.

Stillwater is good any day, but it does get much busier downtown on weekends.

Similar for Red Wing & Winona - any day would be good. Red Wing is probably busier on weekends but any day would be be fine. BTW, the river drive to Winona is one of my favorites, just love it and the WI side is just as pretty. I would also suggest there are some tremendous restaurants in Pepin, WI, if you're interested.

Palm Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Business Hours in October.

We are talking about the stores and shops being actually for open business both downtown and the places I mentioned.

Thanks for the information. Yes, we would like suggestions for Red Wing and Winona.

My wife had mentioned the drive from MSP to Winona and over to the Wisc. side. I would think that would take a whole day.

minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,167 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Business Hours in October.

It might be best to visit these towns on the weekends, if you're concerned about hours. However, traffic will be busier - esp in Stillwater AND esp motorcycle traffic, which tends to be slower.

It is also dependent on when the colors turn - usually early-mid Oct around the cities, a week or 2 later near RW/Winona. Stores may tend to stay open week hours when colors are peaking.

Walking/driving traffic in downtown Mpls is busier on game days, particularly mass transit. However, if you're not near the Metrodome or it's exits, you'll likely not be affected. If you don't mind me asking, where are you staying? We could better answer if we know your location.

Palm Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Business Hours in October.

Hilton Garden Inn. Friday until Tuesday am flight out

Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Business Hours in October.

The round trip to Winona and back would probably involve 4.5 to 5 hours driving time so it would still leave you time for checking out the sights. Late October may be past our prime fall color time, and I think you'd be OK going down on the weekend. I'd recommend visiting Stillwater on a weekday although you might want to check if places you wish to visit are open on Monday if you choose that day.

I hadn't been in Winona in years, but I enjoyed a visit here in June to their nifty MN Marine Art Museum, and had a wonderful lunch at the Blue Heron Coffee House.

minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,167 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Business Hours in October.

I see you're staying pretty close to the Metrodome, so I would plan to do one of your daytrips that day and avoid all the crowds. Sunday may actually be a good day to goto Stillwater simply because a lot of folks may be watching the game.

Things will probably not have seasonal hours yet at the time of year... more likely if at all to happen in November. You may or may not see colors at that time. I recall they were still hanging on last year late Oct, just strangely sporadic (some had turned in Sept, others end of Oct, it was weird due to the drought).

7. Re: Business Hours in October.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 07:16