We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in town

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Grand Blanc...
2 posts
Save Topic
What to do in town

Traveling to Minneapolis from Michigan with two other friends, all young professionals around 30 next week to catch a few baseball games. Staying at the Comfort Inn and Suites downtown. Wondering what the local hang-out places are before/after the game. Best places to eat, best bars, microbreweries, anything will be helpful. I've done some research but first hand info always seems to be much better.

Is our hotel within walking distance or would the light rail be much faster?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,657 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in town

Do you mean the Comfort Suites, downtown on 7th? Comfort Inn is not downtown. But I think you meant the Comfort Suites.

If so, it's not the best location but you guys are young and able-bodied and can handle 9 blocks to/from Target Field and less of a walk to and from nightlife -- whether it be the cluster of nightlife on Nicollet Mall or along 1st Ave North. If you're on 7th I wouldn't bother walking two blocks to get the train seeing as how then you have to wait for the next train. Walking will be better.

The best hangout before the game is easy: Kieran's patio. For weekend games the thing gets pretty packed a full 2.5 hours before first pitch, sometimes earlier depending on weather. Make sure you realize I'm talking about the location on 1st Ave and 6th Street. Google Maps sometimes shows the old location that this one moved from.

What nights are the games? The scene changes depending on weekend or weeknight after games.

Best brewery in town is over in St. Paul -- Summit Brewery. Good tour. Nice tasting. But would require a car and I don't know if you have one. You could also look into tours at Harriet Brewing or a visit to the tap room. It's right off a light rail stop, so no car necesary for that one. Summitt is better but Harriett is more convenient for you.

It's right off the Lake Street stop on the light rail heading southbound toward the airport and mall of america.

What kind of places are you guys looking for for nightlife and food? Budget, atmosphere, etc?

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in town

You can walk it

Just head west on 7th for six blocks

Pre-game you want outside experience:

Kierens / the closest but will fill up

The Alley

On Nicollet Mall - The Local, or Barrio

Brits - but go in, then up, then outside for huge patio & lawn bowling grounds

After bar: clean up and head to The W Lobby Bar

then SneakyPetes ( downstairs) - then to The Seville to see the ladies dance

Grand Blanc...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in town

Thank you for the responses. We will have a car as we are driving from Michigan. Our budget is what you would call normal I guess. Don't mind paying for good drinks or beers.

Games are on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. How early do you suggest we get to Kierens before the game?

About how far away is the Nicollet Mall? Is Brits nearby our hotel or more toward the stadium?

As far as what style of places, more of the pub style, regular hang out type spots, not club type.

Sounds like we will surely hit Kierens, The Alley and Brits. Any other suggestions?

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,657 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in town

Nicollet Mall is only about 4 blocks from your hotel (again, this is presuming you meant Comfort Suites on 7th). And Brit's is on Nicollet Mall about 3-4 extra blocks heading south on Nic Mall.

Brit's patio is great and Brit's and The Local (about a block north on Nicollet Mall from Brit's) make a great pairing. Those nights are generally pretty low key but those two spots should have something happening.

Pregame arrival at Kieran's on a M-W evening should be almost any time. Thursday nights and weekends is when it gets busy. I would do Kieran's for at least a game and hit the CRAVE rooftop happy hour for another pregame. Great views.

After the game the first night I would head into the Loon on 5th Street and 1st Ave N. (Google map these places to get an idea of location). It's very close to the ballpark and a longstanding Twins bar. See how that looks. If nothing is happening head to Nicollet Mall to Brit's for the patio.

At least for your first entrance to Target Field, approach the park along 6th Street so that you enter via Gate 34 (for Kirby Puckett) to see the statues and enter the most scenic gate onto the plaza. Nice intro to the park from there. That is the natural way to go if you're pregaming at Kieran's

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,657 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in town

I almost forgot. Monday is service industry night in Minneapolis (tho only a select group of restaurants/bars participate and i'm no longer sure which ones). It's been a while since I have hit the town on a Monday night, but back when I did it was a pretty fun night to be out. The service industry folks (servers, bartenders, etc) treat that as their Saturday night and bars have specials to pay homage.

I know Sneaky Pete's has very cheap drinks on SIN. Remains to be seen if that's your scene. Pretty young crowd, tho it might be different on Mondays. But it is right near the ballpark (visible from Loon) so it might be worth a shot to poke your head in and check out the deals and the crowd. Right along 5th Street near the light rail station.

Edited: 11 August 2012, 19:36
6. Re: What to do in town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 18:17