We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stone Arch Bridge question

Palm Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Topic
Stone Arch Bridge question

We are staying at the Hilton Garden Inn downtown without a car. Mrs. wants to do the Stone Arch Bridge after reading many great thoughts. How long is the walk?

My question is which side to start on? Walk north and have lunch or dinner on the northside and taxi back to hotel. We need to know which side is better drinks and/or Food?

Any thoughts on the Wilde Roast, Tugg's Tavern after the walk? Maybe some others in that area.

Thanks

SCA

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,927 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stone Arch Bridge question

I'd recommend get to Nicollet Mall from your hotel, and walk north, past the ING building and on to the Hennepin Bridge. Cut down thru Nicollet Island and follow the path to the southern tip by the pavillian. Then cut over the historic metal bridge to St Anthony Main. Wilde Roast is good, so is Tuggs. Can't go wrong with either. By Tuggs along the river is WaterPower Park - check that out.

Now when you walk the StoneArch, you'll have awesome views of skyline.

On the other side check out the Guthrie ledge (free) and spiral up to the top of Gold Medal Park.

Enjoy!!

seattle
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Stone Arch Bridge question

How far is the walk? I would be coming from the Best Western Normandy Inn. Thanks in advance for the info.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,927 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stone Arch Bridge question

I do that walk 4 times a week and it's 50 min at a good clip, without stopping. (no parks or eating)

Plan on 2-3 he's if you stop at both parks and a bite to eat.

I live right next to Normandy.

Edited: 03 September 2012, 12:43
Bellevue, Washington
Level Contributor
28 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stone Arch Bridge question

I would agree with DowntownMinneapolis. You would see a lot by walking down Nicollet Mall, across the Hennepin Ave bridge, around Nicollet Island, and over to the Stone Arch. My estimate is about 3 miles roundtrip (from hotel and back). Minneapolis is not a huge city - it's very walkable.

Also, there are numerous bike rental spots throughout the city if that is something you would prefer. https://www.niceridemn.org/

I personally do not enjoy Tuggs, but Wilde Roast is good. A few other ideas on that side of the river are the Aster Cafe, Kramarczuk's (eastern european deli/brunch), and Pizza Nea.

Edited: 04 September 2012, 01:52
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stone Arch Bridge question

I don't mind saying I don't like Tugg's at all. Nice setting and everything, but I have not had good experiences.

I have not been to Wilde Roast. I would suggest something a little different and very casual -- Karamarczuk as mentioned. Don't expect a fancy dinner but would be good for something quick and interesting.

The walk Downtown_Minneapolis mentioned is what I would do too. I'm not sure if any in your group have interest in history, but that walk (acorss the bridge and down both sides of the riverfront) is the area that put Minneapolis on the map. Literally, because of the only naturally occurring waterfall on the Mississippi (altho it looks man-made these days).

If you walk the entire loop (which I find very interesting and very scenic) you can read all the historical plaques that give you a very geenral history of the lumber industry that settled MN in the spot it is in (because of the hydro power from the waterfall) and then the flour milling uindustry that turned it into a major city and world power in food production (Pillsbury, General Mills etc).

Also, there is a ton of railroad history there as well. The Stone Arch Bridge was created by railroad magnate James J Hill to carry his famous Empire Builder of the Great Northern Railway across the Mississippi on its way out to the Pacific Northwest. Now its only a pedestrian path but it used to carry Northern Pacific and Great Northern trains regularly.

If you walk across the Hennepin Avenue Bridge, you will pass the area that once housed two major railroad stations, including Great Northern Station. Both are gone now. But once stood on opposite sides of Hennepin Ave from each other on the west bank right before you cross the bridge. The federal Reserve building stands where the Great Northern Depot once stood.

A third, blocks away, still stands. The depot of the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad, a k a The Milwaukee Road.

And all around the three of them was the bustling mill district that brough in hundreds of trains a day to unload grain to the many grain elevators to hold for milling. Some of them are still standing.

Can you tell I'm a railroad nut?

6. Re: Stone Arch Bridge question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2013, 10:15