We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girls weekend to do Ideas (uptown, downtown, and more)

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Girls weekend to do Ideas (uptown, downtown, and more)

So we are looking for fun places to go, things to see, places to eat, shop and drink, basically any ideas anyone can give. It is me and my girlfriend early 30's, looking for great boutique and vintage shopping (maybe uptown area?) bars that are less collage oriented, but still a good time, hopefully not too crowded, great places to eat for small plates, possibly organic or at least fresh local ingredients, and any other suggestions on things to do at night that don't necessarily revolve around drinking (night tours, or shows, or galleries etc) also hoping to stay SAFE as we are 2 women in a new place trying to let loose a bit (heard about good cabaret and drag shows if anyone can confirm) but not so much we cant get home to our kids. we are staying at The Hotel Minneapolis and will be walking, busing (if they are safe) and cab-ing it. also any references on reliable cab co's? Thanks in Advance!!!

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,679 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Girls weekend to do Ideas (uptown, downtown, and more)

I have always used Red and White taxi. Grab their number and a number of one other carrier (Rainbow I use sometimes too) and put it in your phone for your time here.

When will you be here? Makes a difference on suggestions if it's patio weather or not.

Small plates? Lots of spots for that. The best one going here right now is Bar La Grassa. Hip, cool. But would require a cab from downtown. Maybe 6-8 dollars. Worth it if you ask me.

One spot downtown is Solera -- Spanish small plates. Great wine list and a great rooftop bar that is usually low key with great views.

Nice happy hour at the rooftop of CRAVE downtown. A little hard to find your way up there the first time but decent happy hour food and drinks with the best view of all.

Now, I'm not a girl and I have not personally indulged on a girls night. But my wife is famous for them (about your age) and so does sister and friends.

So I am envisioning a day starting with an appointment at Aveda Institute (lower-priced pampering) for hair, nails, massage -- whatever. You do have to book and you will wait in a line if it's a weekend morning. Get their tea. Enjoy those famous products. And it puts you right in a cool area of Minneapolis.

From there, breakfast at Whitey's a block away. My favorite breakfast spot of all time. Low-key. Not filled with hipsters. Best OJ you can get here. Even better grapefruit juice. Squeezed while you wait and with vodka added if you like. Just a relaxing atmosphere.

From Whitey's, you can check out a few unique clothing stores -- Parc Boutique, GH2, Melrose Antiques (has vintage clothing). Not sure of your style, but should find something.

Uptown also fits for shopping but is the area's king of college-age bars (at least outside the U of MN of course).

But very unique shops and cool places to eat and drink.

From your hotel, hop one of several bus lines (metrotransit.org) southbound on nearby Nicollet Mall to Hennepin Avenue and Lake Street. From there maybe rent a bike and see the pretty people at Lake Calhoun and possibly Lake Harriet too. Stroll north on Hennepin to visit shops and find a spot for lunch.

I would say past 8 p.m. take a cab instead of the bus to be 100 percent safe. By no means do I think something would happen to you on a bus after 8 but I just think it is better to never leave anything to chance.

Hope that gets ya started.

Edited: 07 September 2012, 03:30
Milwaukee Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Girls weekend to do Ideas (uptown, downtown, and more)

Thanks for all the suggestions,.

We will be there in late September so it could be nice or it could be cold, so i would love patio suggestions but also safe bets on good indoor places too.

The shopping Ideas are great, I already had Melrose Antiques pinned as a to do, but i didnt know of the other shops. Is there a lot of other options in that area, we like trendy but unique, and prefer to make purchases from local resources (as apposed to "made in china" crap) I love thrift which drew me to uptown but the northern end of uptown where i saw there were a lot of thrift vintage stores. Any idea on how good those are?

I also keep hearing about the Shout House and Nye's . any thoughts??

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,679 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Girls weekend to do Ideas (uptown, downtown, and more)

Well if you like local and unique, you should love Nye's. It's a true original. Go on a Friday or Saturday night and get a table by the piano (Which would have to be done by 9 at the latest). Watch the piano karaoke scene but don't forget to wander over to watch a set from the polka band.

I can't really speak to thirft shopping in Uptown. I don't get to Uptown much any more for shopping. Just bars and restaurants.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Girls weekend to do Ideas (uptown, downtown, and more)

Try SpoonRiver, next to the Guthrie, to eat.

Also, do the PediCabs a few times. You can call and they can pick you up.

It's a bicycle, but they have a seat in the back, enough for two.

Have drinks at the W Hotel, both up top at the "Prohibition" bar, and the main Lobby Bar "The Living Room" - adult, upscale crowd

Consider a visit to the IvySpa at the Hotel Ivy, near the Hilton downtown.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Girls weekend to do Ideas (uptown, downtown, and more)

I respectfully disagree that Uptown is mostly college-age bars. Dinkytown has all college-age bars but Uptown is much more sophisticated, for the most part. Stella's, Chino Latino and Cafeteria are hot spots for young professionals. Cowboy Jacks, Williams and The Drink are usually busier with younger people.

Chino Latino and Stella's are both excellent restaurants to dine at as well. Very popular in the Uptown area.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,679 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Girls weekend to do Ideas (uptown, downtown, and more)

on second-thought, calling them "college-age" bars is going a little too far. I guess I've just gotten so old.

But they are pretty young compared to bars in other areas, definitely mostly under 27-28 yrs old for the clientele

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Girls weekend to do Ideas (uptown, downtown, and more)

Maybe a Fri or Sat evening at the 90's for the upstairs drag show. Is so, get there by 9:15 to get a table up front

8. Re: Girls weekend to do Ideas (uptown, downtown, and more)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2013, 10:16