We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall colors - day drives....

Tallahassee
Level Contributor
154 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Fall colors - day drives....

I'll be coming to MSP Oct 9-10 and want to take some pictures again this year of the beautiful fall colors. In the past, I have done all the sights and drives around MSP (beautiful pictures) but this time I want to leave the city for some "country" shots. From what I am reading, the north will be past peak and I should concentrate more on the south. So, maybe Redwing area or below? What about a trip over to Wisconsin for the day? Any ideas would be very helpful as I don't want to waste my drive time to only find bare trees. :(

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,679 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall colors - day drives....

I think generally you have it right but you just never know about peak tiimes. If you want to plan, I would plan what you have in mind -- a drive south along Hwy 61 to and through Red Wing. I would plan a stop in Red Wing for some pictures of a beautiful small town on the river. Then continue south along the river through Lake City and you could cross back over the river into Wisconsin at Winon and come back up the Wisconsin side. I would say it depends on how much drive time you are looking for. That loop would be at least 3 hours just of drive time -- not factoring in time taken for stops for pictures.

Also consider shots in Frontenac State Park right off 61 just south of Red Wing.

Edited: 11 September 2012, 15:07
Robbinsdale...
Level Contributor
319 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall colors - day drives....

rtsunset-

mntoathens is right about not quit knowing when peak colors hit- but another nice option is the Taylors Falls area NE of Minneapolis, pretty sweet vistas along the St. Croix river- on the WI side is Intersate Park with the best views...

Minnesota
Level Contributor
379 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fall colors - day drives....

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but it will probably be a poor color season this year. We've been extremely dry the last several months. I live close to Taylors Falls and already some maples that are normally spectacular at the end of the month are changing. But they are dull and it's like the leaves are drying up more than changing color in a normal way.

However, you never know I guess. The Red Wing trip might be your best bet. You can do the loop around Lake Pepin on the Mississippi River without going all the way to Winona by crossing into Wisconsin at Wabasha. Nerstrand Woods State Park, about an hour south of Minneapolis, might be another spot to consider. Even closer would be the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum about half an hour southwest of downtown. That is another place I love to photograph in the fall.

Robbinsdale...
Level Contributor
319 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fall colors - day drives....

CCDM_9

Bummer- we are camping at Intersate park this weekend, I knew the leaves would not be great because of the dry conditions...oh well...thanks for the color update...

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
858 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fall colors - day drives....

RT,

Typical peak colors for the time you will be here, would be from Duluth South towards the Twin Cities. You might be a bit early for the Southern part of our state, but you never know, things change fast. One place you can keep an eye on is the MN DNR's website that tracks the color each year. Personally I think they leave the "Peak" rating up a little too long, (helps with tourism in those locations). But they do a good job.

www.dnr.state.mn.us/fall_colors/index.html

It will give you a decent idea of where to start your searching, plus you can always watch on here as this is a favorite topic.

Also, the North may have better colors then the south, as they have been receiving more rain this year.

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fall colors - day drives....

South on band about even with Rochster also has had penty of rain so should not be too affected by dry conditions. But all trees are going to be affected by very early Spring. Not sure how much so but they have had leaves for about a month longer than usual already.

We were in Voyageurs NP on Canadian border a couple weeks ago and trees were changing very fast up there. Vey noticable in just the week we were there. A Fall favorite for us is picnic at Mt. Frontenac and grilling some Brats. Color has always been pretty good there.

Tallahassee
Level Contributor
154 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fall colors - day drives....

I am planning on doing the loop like CCDM suggested. I also did check out the Arboretum as well but not enough time to do both as I have meetings the next day and fly home the day after. So really, 10/9 is my best bet. I'll keep checking the color charts and see what they say. It's so hard to judge as in years past I've got beautiful shots and then sometimes the leaves are almost gone. That's why I figure head south this time. Love the Chain of lakes drive but this time I want more country shots with no buildings. Figure the parks to the south would work. I'd love to head north to get some waterfall pics, never been up that way but would still like to have some colors in the shots. Think that might be too late for my arrival. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what nature gives me :)

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fall colors - day drives....

South direction waterfall photo option.... Vermillion Falls in Hastings (on way to Red Wing) just off of US-61 right in town. Adjacent to the historic flour mill. There are trails down through the park and if colors are at peak there it could make for some nice waterfall photos from below. Of course the dramatic value of the falls really varies a lot depending on how recent there have ben rains but the Vermillion River partly spring fed and is always flowing at least some.

1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Fall colors - day drives....

You should also look into Rushford and Lanesboro,MN. Very nice area.

Minneapolis...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Fall colors - day drives....

I checked on couple of sites and some people predicting Sept Last wk would be the best wk to visit duluth lutsen area and and some predicting Oct first wk. We are planning for 6-7th Oct wk end. Would we be able to see some color or everything would be over by that time?