We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vikings tailgating

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
220 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Vikings tailgating

We're going to Sunday's Vikings/Lions game and wondering where the best tailgating area is? Someone told me 4th & Portand...is that right? Any additional info/things I need to know would be appreciated.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,244 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vikings tailgating

I'm not on my laptop, but just type "tailgate" into the search box just above your post and look for a few threads in 2012. I think one was from the Jaguar game. The Depot area is popular, too.

Edited: 09 November 2012, 00:52
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,244 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vikings tailgating

Here's the post I was talking about...Lots of great information already posted in the responses.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g43323-i372-k55213…

Edited: 09 November 2012, 12:21
Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vikings tailgating

4th is prime for tail gating.

I live along there and have seen groups rippin it up.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
220 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vikings tailgating

Thanx so much for steering me in the right direction! Should be fun...GO VIKINGS!!

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,679 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vikings tailgating

That is where I will be on Sunday!

There are about 5 lots total and 4 are reserved for season ticket holders. The lot along Portland Ave bordered by 3rd and 4th Streets is the one you want. It's spendy ($43 a car) but that's the price of being in the city with minimal area to tailgate. It provides garbage receptacles and portopotties.

Lot gets going around 7, probably more like 7:30 given the enthusiasm is down a bit with the losing streak. We'll likely be parked along 3rd street the far end from where you come in, closer to Portland Ave. Feel free to stop by.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vikings tailgating

If you are really hungry, check out Ike's Sunday Brunch before tailgating.

On 6th Street downtown.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
220 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vikings tailgating

Thanx again for the information everyone. One last question...we're staying downtown so weren't really looking to take our vehicle for true tailgating, but more just to wander around taking in the atmosphere and chatting with the fans. Do they charge walk-ins?

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,679 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vikings tailgating

They do not. They'd really have no way of enforcing walk-ins because there is no barrier around the lot.

Just take a backpack with you and stock up on your beers and food and walk in. If you need to grill anything there will be plenty of people willing to provide grill space (including me) as long as you're not wearing a Lions shirt.

I have not participated in the phenomenon that is railgating (food trucks lined up along 5th Street to capture those who rode the train down). But it's getting very good reviews. Unfortunately no beer trucks yet,. High end food. Kind of fancy for me. We just do your standard variety blue collar barbecue: brats or something similarly similar

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
220 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vikings tailgating

Excellent and again thanx again mntoathens. I LOVE the whole tailgating beer & bbq experience, but we're driving in from Winnipeg, so it's just too inconvenient to pack & bring our supplies, grill, etc to the game. But I will be sure to bring some beers and munchies and will try to find you to say hello and have a soda (beer!). I'll be with my wife (we're in our late 50's) wearing my white Peterson jersey (along with a few thousand others!) with a Red Poppy in honor of Canada's Remembrance Day on November 11th. I hope we can meet, but if we don't catch up, thanx again for the info and enjoy the game!

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vikings tailgating

Just bring stuff to share and strike up a conversation with some friendly locals.