We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wabasha St. Caves

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Topic
Wabasha St. Caves

Worth it for a family with elementary school children who have short attention spans? Mixed reviews on TA.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wabasha St. Caves

How old are the kids?

It really depends on the kid. I think it's pretty interesting but kids do tend to lose focus. If you think the children would be interested in that kind of thing then go for it. But depending on which package yuo do you can spend a lot of time in various parts of the cave being taught the history and kids can get hard to control as you know. I had a problem, tho granted my kid was 2 and it probably wasn;t best to take him there at that age.

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wabasha St. Caves

Science Museum, Childrens Museum, Twin Cities Model Railroad Club in Bandana Sq, MOA, All yes.

Wabasha Caves..........no.

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wabasha St. Caves

Jackson Street Roundhouse, St Paul.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wabasha St. Caves

As suggested, if you have kids who like trains even just a little, the model railroad museum and the Jackson Street roundhouse are fantastic for kids.

But then again, I'm a complete nerd abotu trains. But when I see kids there they are always smiling and having a great time.

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wabasha St. Caves

mnto:

The majority of people in our area, as well as across the U.S. have not a lot of concept of why trains are important.

But they'll certainly gripe about the cost of a gallon of gas.

For kids trains are almost magic.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wabasha St. Caves

Haha, yep. Amazing railroad history in Minneapolis and St. Paul. If people knew the pivotal role railroads had in putting this area on the map and settling the interior of the state outside MSP and Duluth, there would be more museum space dedicated to it. Fascinating history.

Thanks to Mr Hofsommer for putting it down on paper.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Wabasha St. Caves

We've already done the roundhouse and RR museum, but thanks for the suggestion. It sounds like the caves are better suited for adults. Thanks for the input!

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wabasha St. Caves

See my reply to Michelle O. today (topic April 26-30) on the Minneapolis Forum

9. Re: Wabasha St. Caves

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2014, 05:15