We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visitor; staying at Hotel Ivy, recommends please

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
First time visitor; staying at Hotel Ivy, recommends please

I will be traveling to Minneapolis later this month and will be staying at Hotel Ivy throughout the week and plan on going to the Twins game Thursday. I will be occupied most of the days with business, however looking for some great places to eat (I am not renting a car so reasonable cab fare from hotel recommendations please); and will have one free day to sightsee. Any and all suggestions welcome! Would prefer to stay away from chain restaurants also.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,657 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visitor; staying at Hotel Ivy, recommends please

Your hotel is two blocks off Nicollet Mall, the main bus artery for the downtown business district. That means you could easily catch a southbound bus to the Chain of Lakes via Hennepin Avenue -- preferably taking it to Calhoun Square. From there, the sites to see are Lake Calhoun and Lake Harriett. Lake Calhoun you will encounter first. I would walk along the east shoreline and take in the views and make your way to the very south point of the lake where you will see William Berry Parkway, which you can take over to Lake Harriett. This is the prettiest lake in the chain, with scenic views, sailboats, mansions lining the lake parkway, a nice bandshell with a good place for takeout sandwiches and snacks (Bread and Pickle).

You could also rent a bike thru the niceridemn program and tour around both lakes. There is a station very close to Calhoun Square, near Lagoon Ave. Look for the bright yellow.green bikes. Self-service kiosk that accepts credit cards.

The other option for sightseeing provides more of a historical snapshot of Mpls history -- the riverfront district with views from the Stone Arch bridge to the old milling district and St. Anthony Falls. Would require a short taxi ride from the Ivy. Maybe 7-8 bucks.

As for restaurants, what kind of food and what type of budget?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visitor; staying at Hotel Ivy, recommends please

Thank you so much for the recommendation and prompt response. I definitely will most likely do the rental bike and tour both lakes on my free day (weather permitting of course). I will eat anything and cost not a factor. Would definitely like to have at least one really good meal and also try some local spots, or hole in the wall pub, etc. Also, the historical snapshot, is there any sort of guided tour by chance? I have a ticket to the game on Thursday, but was also thinking of doing the ballpark tour that day. Do you think this is worth it?

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
736 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time visitor; staying at Hotel Ivy, recommends please

I have seen a segway tour on the stone arch bridge before,might want to look into that?

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time visitor; staying at Hotel Ivy, recommends please

During the week, if you are into Salad Bars - one of the largest in the state is in the 12th floor SkyRoom at Macy's for lunch. HUGE.

Hell's Kitchen is great for breakfast - and they have lunch/dinner & full bar.

Key's Cafe is the same.

On Nicollet Mall, there's Brit's Pub, The Local, and Vincent.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,657 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time visitor; staying at Hotel Ivy, recommends please

There is a guided tour as mentioned via Segway. That's not my style. Plus, twice now I have overheard a Segway guide giving incorrect information to the tour group about the Stone Arch Bridge and its purpose. You can get a very good historical snapshot of the mill district (once the leading food producer in the world and the genesis for such food giants as Pilssbury and General Mills) and the Mpls riverfront area in general by walking the circuit that includes the Stone Arch bridge, St. Anthony Main (Main Street), across the Hennepin bridge and down the walkway that runs on the downtown side of the river. It is lined with historical signs that give you background as you go.

You'll find the most concentrated collection of info while walking the Stone Arch Bridge and below the bridge near Mill Ruins Park where you get a lot of info on the system the city engineers divised to use water to run the mills. Plus, it's really scenic vantage point from up on that bridge.

If you find yourself wanting more, you can attend the Mill City Museum just steps away.

Not any true holes in the wall downtown any more. Used to have one but it closed a few years ago. There are plenty of pubs, though. The Local probably the best, but not a hole in the wall as it's quite beautiful inside. Brit's is a block away with a nice rooftop to enjoy a good pint. Try the local brew Summit.

You could stop in Uptown on your way to/from the Chain of Lakes to find some less fancy bars with lower prices than downtown (which adds a drink surcharge each time for the entertainment district -- so it's more expensive there). Liquor Lyle's probably the best bet along Hennepin Avenue.

I do not think you need to do the ball park tour if you are going to the game. Just wander around and see the sights. Maybe print off a wikipedia page on Target Field for some background info before you go

6. Re: First time visitor; staying at Hotel Ivy, recommends please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 June 2013, 12:35
Edited: 26 June 2013, 12:35
Minnesota
Level Contributor
38 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time visitor; staying at Hotel Ivy, recommends please

Restaurant Alma which is on University Ave and fairly close to downtown ("a reasonable taxi ride for sure and you walk part of the way back over the Stone Arch bridge if you had an early dinner) is an excellent!!!! restaurant in Mpls - award winning chef, non-imposing, excellent seasonal, locally sourced based menu. It is the spot we go for special family events and when we just want something special. We took a good friend and serious New York foodie there and they loved it.

The Mill City Museum is a very interesting, interactive museum with a different take on the grain milling history of Mpls. Really recommend it.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
117 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time visitor; staying at Hotel Ivy, recommends please

In the downtown area, Saffron (Mediterranean/Middle Eastern) and Bar La Grassa (Italian) are great. Saffron has really great cocktails too.

If you end up in the Lake Harriet area, give Tilia a try.

In Northeast, I haven't fallen in love with any restaurants but I have also heard good things about Restaurant Alma.

Wayzata
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: First time visitor; staying at Hotel Ivy, recommends please

Hell's Kitchen is very good and designed with hell in mind, I bring people just to have a view if we don't have the time to eat. The pictures in the restrooms change right in frint of your eyes. They got me the first time.

10. Re: First time visitor; staying at Hotel Ivy, recommends please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2014, 05:16