We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Minneapolis Historical Hotel?

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Minneapolis Historical Hotel?

I would like to stay in a historic hotel in Minneapolis. In other words, an old timer but that is well maintained, etc. Any suggestions?

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Minneapolis Historical Hotel?

The W in the Foshay Tower. Also, if you would consider staying in St. Paul, the St. Paul Hotel on Market St.

minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Minneapolis Historical Hotel?

There's also the Nicollet Island Inn and The Depot. The Westin is historic in the sense that it used to be the old F&M Bank. It's vaults have been turned into private dining rooms, and a very cool period-style pool (one of the few downtown), the lobby bar/restaurant has probably maintained most of the original features.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,658 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Minneapolis Historical Hotel?

I agree with all of what has been mentioned, including in St. Paul. I would also include the Depot Renaiisance hotel in the historic depot built for the Milwaukee Road railroad. If you do that make sure you request to stay in the Depot portion and not the rest of the hotel outside of that building. And check out the old railroad platform covering outside.

But I think the best would be the Foshay Tower, which currently is home to the W Minneapolis. The first skyscraper in Minneapolis and I believe the first one west of the Mississippi. Has an observation deck.

Still some nice historic buildings in the downtown area. Old railroad freghthouses converted to other purposes, like the old building with the C&NW logo still visible.

Also, the Pillsbury A mill still stands on the St. Anthony side of the river. And several repurposed mills still standing on the Minneapolis side. With some ruins mixed in. Interesting history down on the riverfront for you.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Minneapolis Historical Hotel?

and maybe the St. Paul Hotel - 10 miles away if the city is flexible.

But I do agree with the W (see the museum & observation deck - free for hotel guests)

And the Nicollet Island Inn is ok .. but you may be disappointed.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Minneapolis Historical Hotel?

Sounds like Forshay Tower is the one. My only question: is it centrally located? We will not have a car. Thanks, everyone!

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,658 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Minneapolis Historical Hotel?

It depends on what you like to do or are planning to do. Some people like to visit the riverfront and look for hotels closer to there. But overall Nicollet Mall is about as central as you can get in downtown Minneapolis and the hotel (W) is right on Nicollet Mall with access to light rail, shops, restaurants, etc

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Minneapolis Historical Hotel?

You can fly in and light rail to downtown.

The W will be a quick walk south from the station.

If you like steak, make a rez at Manny's attached steakhouse.

Check out the Prohibition Bar up top and walk around to all the rooms and corners.

8. Re: Minneapolis Historical Hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2014, 06:20